A very, very, fortuitous mattress run.

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jfhscott, Jul 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live 3 miles from the Reagan Airport Radisson. To score my 50,000 points in Radisson's current promo, I booked an $80 rate for last nightseveral weeks ago.

Late Friday night, I and a couple of million Washingtonians lost power, and we've had several 100 degree days. Well, I do not ordinarily use my MR rooms, as I have a dog. But this was celarly different. Kennels were all booked up, so I moved the dog's crate to the basement, and enjoyed the hotel's pool, electricity, and air conditioning. I did make visits home every 6 hours or so to walk the dog and feed her.

My power is back up, and all is returning to normal.

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    We live in Montgomery County, and our power went out at about 10:45 Friday night. It came back on at about 8:00 last night. With all the destruction from the storm (we saw an electric pole toppled over, among other things), I thought it would take longer. Guess PEPCO can forget about that rate increase they were planning on asking for.

Travelsavant likes this.
  3. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had similarly booked a room at the DCA Radisson for a mattress run which I had no intention of using. I ended up letting a friend who'd lost power using it and benefit from the A/C.

During check-in there must have been a half dozen calls/walk-ins all inquiring about availability, but the hotel was completely sold out, my pre-booked room notwithstanding. So this turned out to be very fortuitous for my friend!

Out of curiosity, I used the Kayak app to price out availability in the area. I was shocked to see a Motel 6 with available rooms at $560+!! :eek:

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow were you lucky! Too bad your pup couldn't come join you in the pool!

5. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Motel 6 should be sued for usury! LOL

Travelsavant and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    In some states, there are laws specifically prohibiting this behavior, known as "profiteering." Police in Upstate NY during ice storm of 1998 were not amused by retailers price gouging generators, etc.

Travelsavant, wrxmom and jetsetboy like this.
  7. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is just sickening.

8. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, not all states have such laws.

Travelsavant likes this.
  9. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gee, that is a bit steep. But that may be the "rack" rate. Under the circumstances, it has the hallmarks of profiteering. Somehow, however, the thought of a Washington hotel extracting what it can when, every four years, there is an inauguration, is not so troubling. As for legality in Virginia, I suggest that Virginia is a strongly free market jurisdiction, and if even only a handful of jurisdictions permit this, Virginia would be among them.

sobore, Travelsavant and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the RNC in Minnespolis in 2008, at least one downtown hotel posted a rack rate of about $3000 per night for an ordinary room in a rather nice hotel. A friend of mine stayed there over a weekend several months ago for $89 per night and most weekends they have rooms under about $150. Current prices during a normal business week are probably $200-300.

Travelsavant likes this.
  11. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as said Motel 6 (and others) did not exceed their published innkeeper's rack rate, there's no repercussions. I just stayed in four different suites in Las Vegas and the least expected -- from the Best Western chain -- had a published $699 maximum rate. The other three were listed at just under $400.

* Why stay in a Best Western one night? An ordinarily expensive weekend night is a lot cheaper when it's $80 with $100 back from a Best Rate Guarantee.

Travelsavant and Flyer1976 like this.
  12. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great Idea. I just booked a night at the EWR Country Inn & Suites to take advantage of their pool for tomorrow's 100 degree day.

Travelsavant and onfo like this.