*A Upgrade using US Airways miles on LX

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Philippe, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Philippe

Philippe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I planned to travel to Europe in January on Swiss YUL-ZRH-AGP. I'm thinking to pay the 4 coach tickets and try to upgrade them using my cheap US Airways miles. I have booked a few tickets on aeroplan but it is the fist time that i will try a *A upgrade using miles. I know that i see the avaibility of the upgrade on expertflyer, but how difficult it is to upgrade the 4 coach tickets to bussiness on Swiss??? Do US Airways is doing some blocking on the upgrades with Swiss or with *A partners???

JohnDeere19 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you need to buy a full fare economy ticket (Y fare) to upgrade a *A partner and this tends to be VERY expensive. Don't trust expertflyer either as they pull inventory available to Miles and More members not all *A members.

I'd say it may be better to look at buying 2 J tickets and maybe using miles for 2 J tickets...that is, if the space can be found via *A partners. Swiss can be finicky so give US a call to find availability.

Philippe likes this.
  3. Philippe

Philippe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see 2 fares Swiss coach, Economy - T and Economy - L wich means economy saver class and economy class. I also see this : If indicated, a booking in this fare option is eligible for award upgrades against Miles & More miles. Award upgrades are not possible on codeshare flights. Does this include Star Alliance miles upgrade or this is only for Miles & More Miles? Or maybe this is for Miles & More Miles members with elite status?

4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles & More members are LH/LX only, not *A. That upgrade isn't available as a *A award.

Philippe and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. Philippe

Philippe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks BurBunny

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Philippe

Philippe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Terms and conditions on US Airways website : Star Alliance upgrades can be requested when flying in B, C, D, or Y classes. Thanks JohnDear19!