A universal plug socket... at last?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by rwoman, Jun 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    BBC: A universal plug socket... at last?

I am sure many of us find frustration in the variety of electical plugs out there!

:)

autolycus and uggboy like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just don't see this becoming a global trend. Maybe at international mainstream hotels, but it's more likely some common standard will be adopted than that we'll see a full rollout of universal sockets. I can buy a new, standard socket at the hardware store down the street for 75 cents, and probably less if I bought it bulk. I would imagine these universal ones cost at least twice that. Multiple by several hundred or thousand for a large building...

rwoman and FlyingBear like this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like Scottrick said, It costs more, so countries like US simply won't adapt these in new housing unless there are some sort of rules. I expect these to become universal around the same time voltages become universal :)

rwoman likes this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen those, or a very similar outlet, at a number of hotels and on a few boats, all catering to mostly foreign travelers. They work well. My dad has a power strip that has those for each of the sockets and a universal plug so it will work anywhere in the world and take any devices from anywhere in the world.

One advantage of having at least the North America sockets different from the rest of the world is the voltage difference. While almost all things that people would travel with will work perfectly fine on any of the voltages/cycles/amperages, not everything does. It's nice to have an idiot reminder.

rwoman likes this.
  5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    These sockets are in found all over SE Asia.

rwoman likes this.
  6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotels or homes?

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guesthouses.

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw these in hotels in S Korea, but not in any hotels in Europe (FR, DE, CH, CZ).