A tribute to Moms who raised a Milepointer this Mother's Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FrequentlyFlying, May 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Mama's boy, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It can be difficult to find something unique to do on Mother's Day to show them how much they really mean to you. So, this cherished day for the women who birthed and raised their children, I decided to show my love for my Mom by putting it out there on the world wide web.

The full story can be found on my blog, and it's a true one. My Mom literally snuck into United's world headquarters in the 1980s to buy a few things from the employee gift shop. She got in undetected and was able to buy some United Airlines logo items to give me a birthday to remember. It was amazing, and I still remember it to this day. What did she buy? I got a United Airlines duel time zone watch and a Boeing 727 poster that birthday, and I will never forget what she went through to get it.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there!

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am very grateful for a loving mother. :)
    She died in 2005 and I miss her every day. :(
    I love you mom.

3. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for this post. My amazing Mom is 89 and while it is most difficult to see her in such a frail state, I cherish every day with her and thank her for the unconditional love she has given me over the years even when I was a "handful."

4. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love my mom. She told me that I could be what every I wanted to be as long as I worked at it. She always paraphrases Eleanor Roosevelt in saying that "you feel how YOU want to feel".Unlike every other "Asian mom" I know, she rarely nags me and she doesn't call me every day (or even every other day) in worry, because she trusts me to do the right thing in any situation(plus she admits she hates calling people :p).
    She is a very unique woman for having grown up in South Korea, and moved to the States after intense frustration of being a psychologist in a country that to this day prides itself on internalizing feelings,fear, heck emotions.
    Me too :D Great post by the way!

On a sadder note, one of my best friends lost his mother on this very day, 7 years ago. For him, Mother's Day is a bittersweet day. I told him that she will never truly be dead as long as he remembers her...but no son should see his mother die at such a young age...especially in the manner that she passed away in(wasting away due to cancer) .

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know how you feel. My mother passed away 12 yrs ago, way too young. She nurtured, protected, sacrificed and loved, not just her children, but everyone who entered her life. She was able to return to her childhood home, a place she had to leave during WWII. My brother and father went with her, they flew First and had a fabulous time. When she came back I asked her if she ever wanted to return and she told me that despite seeing what was left behind she gained so much in Canada. When she was gone, she missed us dearly and made her realize her world (i.e., her children and grandchildren) was here.