A Traveler's Guide to Packing: Less Is More

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-mirza-grotts/a-travelers-guide-to-pack_b_3226978.html

With the anticipation of every trip comes the stress of packing for that trip. If ever a saying were true, it's this one: Less is more. If you've read my book, A Traveler's Passport to Etiquette, you'll know the No. 1 rule for packing is to pack lightly so you can make room for your purchases or simply not be saddled with "extra baggage."

The July issue of Real Simple magazine offers these tips for packing: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, as in reduce how much you pack, reuse your clothes in different combinations, and recycle basics such as yoga pants. Sounds like the perfect formula.

For my honeymoon, I packed two large suitcases. We were off to Paris. It was winter, and I thought I needed every coat in my closet. Nearly twelve years later, it's all about carry-on luggage, and I still don't wear everything I bring. That's progress, but it took years of practice. If you are a habitual over-packer, start here.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-mirza-grotts/a-travelers-guide-to-pack_b_3226978.html

Sean Colahan and uggboy like this.
  2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some great tips for packing light. I always try to pack lighter on each trip I take.

3. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best packing light tip I have is to leave children home

MissBurrill and Sean Colahan like this.
  4. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have advice for a good men's sport coat that travels (and packs) well????

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    JoeCortez likes this.
  6. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about a sport coat you can pack everything into? If you don't mind wearing all your stuff and have a little money to spend, that is...http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/SeV-Sportcoat.shtml

paladinua likes this.
  7. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Scottevest myself and have traveled with it a handful of times. Its a great light jacket; mine can accomodate an iPad but I find that, unless I'm looking for flackjacket-like protection, its a little uncomfortable to carry... That said, they make great jackets, that can significantly decrease the need for a second bag.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife just got me a black Scottevest transformer jacket. I was wearing it out while kicking around Boston yesterday and like it so far. I like the casual look and the removable sleeves. Can't wait to try some ultra-light travel trips in the future;-)

9. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice and Thanks for your Packing Tips :)

10. FF Djohnson

FF Djohnson New Member

Status Points:
    I always limit myself to a carry-on sized piece of luggage, whether or not I'm traveling by plane. If it doesn't fit in the pack, I need to seriously consider whether or not I should bring it. It helps to consolidate electronics. If I can handle all of my communications (e-mails, etc) on my iPad, I'll leave my computer at home for a short trip to lighten the load.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  11. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from a four-day liesure trip to Rome; I only brought one change of clothes plus: one extra t-shirt, one long-sleeve Columbia shirt and two a-shirts--it all fit in a sm/med sized backpack. I aso brought two cameras, iPad, iPod, paperback book, ziplock w/toiletries and a ball-cap.

Each night I washed clothes in my hotel room sink and let it hang dry in the shower. This was only possible because I use "travel" clothing brands like Exofficio, Columbia and everything is dri-fit (style) fabric.

I had two other very important factors on my side: spring in the Mediterranean and it was a liesure trip. I had no need for a jacket or to dress up.

I've gotten better over the years but often still overpack a little. Even this time I could have gotten away with only one a-shirt :)

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lose the paperback book and use an eBook on your iPad.

rockyrock and Sean Colahan like this.
  13. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:

I normally do, this particular book was a gift and no e-version available yet...

I do find flying a good time to force myself to read conventional books though. If I start right when I hit my seat, I can usually get a good 30 minutes before I hear the sweet song of the Siren coming from my iPad :D