*A tickets booked through US but didn't debit miles

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sky King, Aug 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked *A tickets and have the confirmation code for the other airline and all seats are confirmed. On US site it shows my tickets were booked then cancelled booked again then cancelled. The miles were taken out, redeposited, taken out again, and then redeposited. I'm still confirmed with the other airline. Anyone have any experiences like this. It's a lot of miles so not sure if I should say something but don't want to get to the counter when we take off and our tickets not be right.

savydog likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never seen this and I don't deal with US, but if you don't have clear evidence that there is a properly issued ticket, with ticket number and receipt, not just a confirmation code, you should assume that something is wrong and needs to be fixed immediately. Is there a chance that your credit card could have refused the charges for taxes and fees on the ticket? Try to verify this, check your email (including spam folders) for messages, and call US. The risk is that your award space could disappear the longer you wait before fixing this. The confirmation means nothing without a ticket and you will not be allowed to fly; the other airline will cancel your reservation long before you get to the airport but even with a reservation, if there is no ticket matching the reservation, you will not fly without paying the walkup fare. Forget about trying to save miles that you're not entitled to keep and focus on saving your trip.

savydog likes this.
  3. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I checked the credit card used and it shows the charge. I've check both confirmation numbers (*A and US air) and it shows me ticketed and confirmed seating. The *A page even wants to know if I want to upgrade to economy plus. The *A also shows the charge of $12.50 in fees per ticket.
    Does anyone know if Customer Service reps have to manually pull the miles out of your account? I'm assuming they do because as gleff always points out YMMV on US air flights. I'm not one to get something for nothing but if this ticket is booked and my miles aren't pulled out is that my fault?
    Devil on one side...Angel on the other....hmmm.

savydog likes this.
  4. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try to pull reservation on us site by the ticket # (found on cc charge).

savydog likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're sure you have a ticket number and receipt, then you should be OK.

6. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    And never publish this kind of mistake publicly. It happens frequently. Including basic undercharging and overcharging of miles too.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It does happen frequently. Call the other airline and make sure they see ticket #s attached to your reservation, that you are actually ticketed. If you are you are basically fine.

However, it's still possible though rare for US AIrways to catch a mistake like this.

Last fall my wife and i used US Airways miles for an award to India. The agent actually did pull the miles, but didn't associate having done so with my reservation. It's because we were pulling miles from two separate accounts, which means she created an award reservation together for two people and then split the record. She pulled my wife's miles, she pulled my miles, but didn't ever enter my Dividend Miles # in my reservation after she split the record.

I got a phone call from US Airways auditing. They were quite accusatory. DId I still want this reservation? Because there weren't any miles left in my wife's account to pay for it. This was weeks after ticketing. I walked them trhough what happened, they looked up the accounts and saw the mileage was debited, and they apologized.

My only point here is that it's POSSIBLE for US Airways to catch a mistake like this later.

But as long as you have a reservation and that reservation is ticketed, you're fine. And personally I would leave enough miles in the account to support the award until after you've flown the travel, in case they come back looking for the miles, so that they don't cancel the reservation.

8. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I posted I wanted to make sure I didn't name the airline or my destination just in case. I will make sure and keep enough miles in the account just in case. I'll also keep checking once a month with the *A parter to make sure the res is ok. Part of me feels guilty but then part of me rationalizes how is this any different than any other fat finger error fare or Expedia.ca mistake (My wife and I really enjoyed our two nights at the Mandarin In Vegas for free - Thanks for that tip Gary).

9. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles are still in the account. Was even able to log into the *A carrier and change seats. The minute that trip is done I'm booking another.

JohnDeere19 likes this.