A thought on 'likes'

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by rehoult, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, I'd like to say that I really appreciate the basis of ranking people based on 'likes' and other performance based measure and I think a far better option than raw post counts. It enables well spoken, knowledgeable newbies to be quickly recognized for their contributions, and it's also a far better way of assessing the credibility of a poster.

However, I had a thought on an extension of the current model, whereby 'likes' of high ranking members would contribute more to someones points, on the basis that quality recognizes quality. It's very similar to trust-based identity systems, whereby you decide to trust or reject an electronic signature based on their relationship with others. It may or may not fit in with the long-term plan, but was a thought that came to mind.

kenbo, noel, Pegasus and 6 others like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea proposed in the above post. I do however wonder if the "like post" can become a popularity button with the idea that I am promoting my friends on this site. Perhaps some refining of the tool will address this potential pitfall as we are still in the beta phase.

3. A dislike button would be nice too. Its the one thing FB is missing.

Everybody 'liking' everything all the time is a little to Stepford wives..

4. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that Randy weighed in earlier about the 'dislike' button, saying that it didn't fit with the friendly community atmosphere they are trying for. To the extent that historical 'dislikes' would be tracked on the individual's profile, I'm inclined to agree with Randy, it could result in ostracizing.

However, if it was used like on Slashdot, where a large number of dislikes (and not enough offsetting 'likes') results in the individual post being minimized by default when you enter the thread (you can still read it if you click on it) I think that could add to the informative nature of the forum by hiding 'useless' posts. The impact is limited only to that one post (it doesn't stay with you) and nobody is immune from it. We've all made stupid posts and to the extent that they were recognized as such, they would be hidden, no matter how good our normal posts are.

HiIslands, Chimpy, RZS and 3 others like this.
  5. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that problem is inherent to a 'like' system, and will normally sort itself out as people will recognize people who constantly 'like' things that nobody else does. It's hard to program out without negatively impacting people who aren't doing it.

Mikel and kiwi like this.
  6. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the like button, when used properly, will cut down on the long list of posts where everyone only comments that they agree with someone. If I use the like button but have nothing of substance to add to the thread, I should just leave it at that and not waste the time of those who try to read all new posts.

rehoult, SS255, prncess674 and 2 others like this.
  7. EXACTLY. Without a dislike , it makes all the 'liking' a juvenile. here is a difference between responsible accountability and being unfriendly... My biggest hope for this BB will be that it becomes dynamic and useful.

EDIT:
    Vis versa, if all individuals do is go around 'liking' other posts, then perhaps it loses it value. Maybe a limit the amount of 'liking' to 5 posts a day or something. The integrity of the system should be maintained.

Speedster1978 and violist like this.
  8. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hate to say it, but I just "liked" the previous post.

9. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    But if you have more than 5 post a day you like? And if the like is limited you don't hit the like button because there could be something better.

10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's like the problem DL Platinums and Diamonds have with the "Job Well Done" certs. PM's get three a year, I think DM's might get a few more (?). They are handed to exceptional employees whom we encounter, and I believe the employees get points at the DL employee store. So, we all hoard our little supply, and prior go giving one out we second guess ourselves. We often end up on the last flight of the year with two certs remaining, and regrets about a GA or FA or TA to whom we didn't give a cert.

flyingdawg likes this.
  11. Then pick the 5 best.

If I have a dollar and everyone else has 10 cents, I am rich.

If I have a dollar and everyone else has a dollar, we're all poor.

We need to be able to preserve the value of MilePoint.

Besides.. you'd get 5 more tomorrow..is 'liking' something so urgent that we need to devalue the system to offer 'unlimited' praise in a time frame?

12. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is what would happen to me- looking always for a better one. But there is no one. And then the choice gets the one who is lucky and not the best.

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    To do this there should be a list with your like of the day. and in this list you can unlike somebody again, or????

14. It doesn't have to be some complex. More forums limit posting to in the same thread to once every few minutes to prevent double posts... there can be a time limit between 'likes' even, instead of a limited number.. Say you can 'like' something every 5 minutes.. which is a reasonable amount of time to read, understand, and like something.. and stop people from clicking LIKE, LIKE, LIKE.. till their mouse is broken.

15. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree.

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as integrity, are you concerned about the too many posts having too many likes, or people gaming the system by liking everything? The second problem can be managed by software, the system can discount excessive likes in assessing their "value" for status points. And Randy has implied their top-secret system can consider such kinds of things ...

But as Westsox said, "like" can reduce threads where someone makes a good post, and it's followed by 10 tumbs-ups and/or "+1" posts.

17. Absolutely agree. I'm only saying we don't go about our 'real world' lives publicly 'LIKING' each situation we come across, so even now, as I run thru some threads we have 'LIKE' Conga's and such. I'm only suggesting that some
    value be placed on the system.

As far as 'gaming' it.. well thats why we were all on FT and subsequently here.. The amount of discount/free travel I've managed in the 11 years i've been involved in Randy's projects is staggering. The amount of my friends who've subsequently benefited from knowledge for their own travels and been able to 'upgrade' their experiences is vast.
    If people want to game, that's fine. But lets not intentionally dilute the program.

18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The good thing is Randy and his team are quite aware of the gaming aspects, so I expect they will be able to prevent flagrant status runs using their points system. :)

mtacchi likes this.
  19. Now if only we can find a good mistake fare in this points system!

20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to be liked! [​IMG]

DesertRose and carsonheim like this.
  21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Heck, they taught us the gaming process, so they should be a few steps ahead of us on this one.

22. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    But we are learning quickly.

23. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Like" says a lot, and I like (no pun intended) the ability to click on a "like" button instead of having to quote the post (and risk mis-quoting the post) and typing "+1." I'm sure that there will be users who will abuse the "like" button, but the vast majority of us will reserve our "like"s for when they really count.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're just a few days into this and still in beta, I say leave the current in place. As the community grows, we'll have a much bigger and representative sample size to show us if a change is needed.

gemac likes this.
  25. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I like how Yelp does things with reviews - you can click it as "useful", "funny", and/or "cool". So it's not just a rating of "like" but WHY. (You can select one or all three... so someone who is just hilarious gets a lot of "funny", someone who actually posts tons of content gets the "useful" ones, and someone who is just well liked or posts neat stuff might get a ton of "cool".

live2travel, lin821 and DesertRose like this.