A Third Of Domestic Flights Offer Wi-Fi, But Few Passengers Pay

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ACMM, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link

September 18, 2012 - 04:55 PM ET

For all the progress airlines in recent years have made to expand wireless inflight Internet access, such services are available on less than a third of daily domestic U.S. flights, and only a small percentage of passengers pay to log on. While travelers gradually are using inflight Internet more often, airlines continue to work toward Wi-Fi ubiquity—even if they lose money getting there.

As of Monday, 31 percent of domestic flights in the United States were equipped with Wi-Fi, according to an analysis provided to BTN by flight rating website Routehappy.

As the dominant provider in the United States, Gogo in an August U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing disclosed that as of June 30, it had outfitted 1,565 commercial aircraft with wireless Internet capabilities—a 36 percent increase from the same period in 2011.

For the first half of 2012, Gogo reported a 5.4 percent usage rate among commercial airline passengers flying on Gogo-equipped aircraft. That figure had grown from 4.3 percent during the same period in 2011.

... more at the link above

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I would enjoy wifi on more of my flights and have no issue paying a nominal amount to have it supplied.

3. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For business travelers on an expense account, it might make sense, but 100% of my travel is leisure (even before I retired, I hadn't been on a business trip since 2008), and I have never been able to justify the relatively high cost. I would definitely enjoy wifi for the right price, however.

4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This pretty much describes inappropriate pricing. The average flight is around 2 hours. A flat rate for a 2 hour flight isn't going to get many takers. That same flat rate on a trans-con might be more appealing because you get more value for the dollar, however, it's still pretty high. I would think a one-time 2 hour use of $2.99 would be worth it, and an all day charge of $6.99 would be worth it as well if you're on multiple legs in a day.

emajy likes this.