*A (Thai F specifically) award availability search - Aeroplan versus ANA

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Alan in CBR, Mar 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Alan in CBR
    Original Member

Alan in CBR Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering buying a bunch of US Airways miles, with their current bonus offer. Yes I know I've left it to the last minute, but please bear with me. I want to redeem the miles for SYD to either FRA or LHR (round trip) in First (seemingly the best availability is on Thai). To check availability I looked at Aeroplan which shows tons of availability for whichever date I choose, more or less. ANA, which seems to be the preferred search site shows only a fraction of the availability. Aeroplan seems to offer much more variety (10+ hour layovers for example).

Which one can I trust? I'm happy to spend the best part of 12 hours in BKK if it means First all the way on TG, but I don't want to buy the miles and find I can't use them for the intended purpose.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You need to search point-to-point on the two sites. And the availability should be the same. So for instance don't search Sydney -FRA/LHR. Search SYD-BKK on each site, you should see the same availability. Search BKK-FRA and each site should show the same availability.

In general TG F is pretty easy to get. And lots of routes to choose from, e.g. FRA/LHR/CDG (for the Jet Airways suites!)/MUC/ZRH/FCO/MXP...

And don't forget that there's LX F BKK-ZRH to consider, you want to depart Bangkok in Thai First for sure for the spa but you can consider aother carrier to Bangkok eg LH F for the First Class Terminal or LX F ex-ZRH.

3. Alan in CBR
    Original Member

Alan in CBR Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks gleff, it looks like I need to spend a bit of time tonight educating myself. Like I said, Aeroplan has a bunch of SYD-BKK (long layover) BKK-LHR/FRA, but ANA only offers < (let's say) 3 hour layovers.

The information you offered noting that the availability "should be" the same is what I was looking for. Thanks again.

4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    ANA doesn't always show you the connections you might expect. As gleff mentioned, on ANA check the specific flight segments your looking for and don't trust it to spit out all the potential connections.

5. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the clearer layout of ANA showing the 3 classes of flights and multiple flights of that day.
    When searching multiple point to point options, I find it easier to get a quick overview of what's available.