A tale of two UA reservation agents

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mre5765, Dec 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in November I booked a trip via YYZ to MUC in LH F to take advantage of LH's gift of F space on that new route. Traveling were Mrs. and Mr. mre5765. This was to span our anniversary.

Lately the Mrs. made it clear a safari was on her bucket list, so Christmas Eve morning I worked on finding business class inventory from MUC to JNB. I found inventory, and called the 1K line. After being on hold, got through to an agent who clearly was not 1K material.

After I explained what I wanted to do, he wasted time explaining to me that the number of miles would go up as would the taxes. Yeah whatever. So I told him what I was seeing from MUC to JNB, and so please tack it on. He said he wasn't seeing the inventory. I told him it was there on united.com. He said, if I see it, I should book it. I told him I was not about to trust united.com to retain my F class TATL seats for this sort of transaction. He suggested he refer me to web support. I declined, and politely told him I would try again later.

So HUCA. Waited on the phone for ten minutes. Someone answered: "rate desk". Puzzled, I told her I wanted to change an award reservation. She said, "let me transfer your call to the award booking desk". Never heard of such a desk, but I said, sure.

Waited five more minutes, and the ten most glorious words a M+ member can ever hope to hear were uttered: "Global Services desk, zzzzz speaking, how may I help you?"

OMG, now we were cooking with gasoline.

She saw the inventory on EgyptAir her less skilled colleague could not. Which makes me believe that some phantom inventory isn't phantom if the UA agent has skills. And dear god was she good.

After she tacked on the segments to JNB, it ticketed instantly, and while I was verifying the segments on LH and EgyptAir, she noticed DEN to YYZ was in coach. "Here let me fix that". Instantly done. I reverified the partner segments. Then I had her work on the return, which was done as a one way. The EgyptAir inventory I saw to MUC on the return was invisible to her, so she could not see away to keep the LH F segment and fly us in business class from JNB to MUC, but with some creativity, she got us JNB/CAI/LHR on EgyptAir and LHR/IAD/DEN on UA in GF/F.

So Mrs. mre5765 got a nice present under the tree. All thanks to Global Services.

I still wonder if she opened the GF and F inventory for us.

What an experience it was to feel like a GS for a half hour.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your Safari in South Africa!

If you need recommendations on Safari Operators please let me know!

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also gotten Global Services "support" once or twice, hardly ever happens for us lowely 1ks :)

Flyer1976 and flyforawg like this.
  4. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome post - smart on your part to politely HUCA.

5. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot the best part. In the middle of our dialog, we were disconnected.

She called me back a few minutes later. OMG she was good.