a tale of micro-USB cables..... (???)

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Jun 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I was under the impression that all mini USB cables were created equal. But maybe not...?

I have about half a dozen mini USB to USB cables around the house, but today I wanted to back up my wife's old Blackberry and the mini USB for the Blackberry Curve seems to be different than the regular micro USB cables that I would use, for example, with my Nikon DSLR camera.....

Does this mean that I need to buy a dedicated micro-USB to be able to connect my black berry to a computer to do the backup...?

BTW, Ive thought about bluetooth but since the stupid Blackberry just decided it doesnt want to have its cursor work, I cant turn on Bluetooth on the darned device.... :mad:

Thanks,
    Alex

2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying the cable fits but doesn't sync? Or it doesn't even fit? I'm pretty sure the Curve uses a micro USB though some other devices like cameras often use a mini USB. And even within those there are a few differences.

As far as Blackberrys go, as long as it's USB data cable (i.e. not a charge-only cable) and it fits then you should be ok -- my understanding is the the Curve uses standard USB wiring but you obviously need to have one with the right size plug.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which of these does it look like the Blackberry takes?

USB-connector-faces.gif

OverThereTooMuch likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most Nikon SLRs that I'm familiar with use the Mini-USB B connector while the BB will use the Micro-USB B cable. Both are "generic" but they are not the same.

OverThereTooMuch, viguera and Gaucho like this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean has it right..... the Nikon has the Mini USB B connector... the BB has the Micro B, which is essentially the same but when you look at the horizontal thickness the Micro is about half as thick.... the wife cant seem to find the original cable so I will have to go out and buy me a generic one.

Thanks very much.

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.... thanks, as I post above I will have to go buy a generic data cable that's standard USB to micro B.

Thanks !!

7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very Helpful !!!! Thanks !!

konoyaro likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually its not necessary to buy a whole new cable you can buy adapter tips which convert the ends to micro.

Gaucho and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah... good to know, didn't know these existed. Will look out and see what makes most sense to purchase.

Thanks !!!

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

It's probably not worth it, since it's just one more -- really small -- piece of hardware to misplace.

You can grab a bunch of generic micro-USB cables off amazon or (if you feel like getting ripped off) your local electronics giant (Walmart / Best Buy or even Radio Shack).

Nowadays almost nobody uses mini USBs because the trend of course is to make things smaller, so other than the camera I'm guessing you won't need the older cables anymore.

Speaking of which, just go wireless with the camera and an eye-Fi card for picture transfer via WiFi. It is the 21st century after all. :)

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool eye-FI option.... sadly my DSLR is a little dated me things..... don't think the D300 supports wireless connectivity.... :oops:

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

That's the beauty of eye-fi. It's an SD card with a built-in wifi antenna. There were a few threads here where we discussed it. On the D300 you'd have to get an SD-CF adapter, but you basically configure the eye-fi card to connect to your wireless network and take pictures as you usually would. Then when you're in range of a configured network it would automatically send the pictures to your PC, or the cloud, or whatever.

It's better than the $700 WT-4 wireless option for Nikon cameras, and a lot less bulky. :)

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    (Going off topic, sorry!) Does the Eye-Fi work inside a SD-CF adapter? I've researched using it in my D700 before, but it seems like normal adapters won't work, and making one myself will be too much of a hassle.

It's also not very impressive in practice. I envisioned using it to do wireless tethered shoots (there's probably a better phrase), where images appear on a bigger screen as photos get taken. I think the WT-4 supports that.

Gaucho and viguera like this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm using a Canon now and moved away from CF a couple of years back, but I know there are reports that some adapters work just fine -- as well as reports that some don't, so it depends on the brand I think.

I think either way the official word from Eye-Fi is that even if it works it's not supported, and I never understood why they themselves never released a CF version of their cards.

As for what you're planning to do, I don't know if the control you get over the Eye-Fi card is granular enough to allow it. There's no fine-tuning allowed, so you can't for example set the card up to transfer as fast as possible at the expense of battery life, which would probably work for what you need. Then again, the whole "send to another display" business is old hat by now and nobody seems to have come up with a good universal solution (there's bluetooth, Wi-Fi Direct, AirPlay, etc).

Gaucho likes this.