A Stop At A Roadside Gem Shop- Namibia

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MLW20, Feb 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my first trip to Africa we travelled overland from South Africa to Namibia. During one of our long drives through Namibia we pulled over to a small structure made from branches and twigs.
    Everyone on the tour bus wondered what we could be stopping for.

At first there wasn't a soul around but within seconds two young children ran from their small shack, right over to the stand to invite us to check out their gems. It was a crazy site to see and I couldn't imagine this being a profitable business as not much traffic came down this dusty road.

Read more at http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2012/02/stop-at-roadside-gem-shop-namibia.html

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    An interesting story...

but here's something: when I saw it pop up in the list of new threads, I knew immediately that it would just be a short teaser with a link to your blog. And I am less and less likely to click on those.

Chimpy, OY-JFS and MSPeconomist like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree, but at least it isn't a contest or random drawing link.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or reason #765 for why to sign up for Ultimate Rewards credit card now... via this convenient link? ;)

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....which is probably not the best current offer for that credit card anyway.

6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is your choice to continue reading or not... But now I see where your bitterness comes from in that other thread.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That other thread has nothing to do with this (I submit the time stamps of this thread and the other thread as evidence to the court). It was about your suggestion that pilots showing up drunk should be charged with attempted murder, which, in a nutshell, simply makes litte sense to me (and so I said that).

This one, however, does: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/self-promotion-in-posts.27091/

8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You seem to be a very literal person. It would be better to read fully before giving off such strong comments. I honestly found your comparisons to make little sense. But it is nice that we can all have our own opinions & express them as desired.

In terms of self promotion- I don't see the problem with sharing some of what I post. If the reader would like to continue reading then they can choose to click or ignore. I am breaking no rule that I know of. Why is it ok for others to do so? Why is it ok for the BA bloggers to share one line & a link to their post. Do you have a problem with that too? It doesn't bother me. If I choose to read their story/ post I will choose to.