*A Silver questions

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by waterhazard, Oct 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. waterhazard

waterhazard Active Member

Status Points:
    I recently achieved Star Alliance Silver from Aegean Airlines, and I have a few questions about it that I can't seem to find direct answers to.

1)For new bookings, I remember reading a while back that I provide my Aegean Airlines number first and then change it to my preferred airline when checking in, is that correct?

2)For existing and award bookings, how would I let US Airways or United know that I have Star Alliance Silver, since I use their FF number for the bookings?

3)Is there a chance of being upgraded as Star Alliance Silver/Gold on US Airways and United? I understand it depends on the fullness of the flight but I've seen conflicting answers browsing the forum.

Hopefully the answers will benefit others who are having the same questions.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only thing that A3*S will give you is one free bag, so you should put it on your reservation if you need to check one in. Put down A3 at check-in, then change it at the gate.

For existing bookings, give them your number at check-in if you need to check a bag. You should receive your card within 2 months. When did you qualify for *S? They seem to mail out the cards every 2 months, so if you qualified in September, your card will be mailed out in November and won't reach you until around Thanksgiving. If you qualified in August, you should already have your card ;)

Upgrades will be a very lucky thing for you, since you will be at the VERY bottom of the list. It's tough enough for UA elites to get an upgrade, a partner elite has no chance. I've only seen A3*G getting upgraded due to OP-UPs (when economy is full).

May I ask, any reason why you're not going for A3*G? You only need 16K more miles from the day you qualified for A3*S ...