A Secret place in Florence

Discussion in 'Europe' started by NileGuide, May 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. When I studied in Florence now 10 years ago, I learned about Dante. As I learned more and more about him and his life, I wanted to go to the places he frequented. The church of Santa Margherita was one of the most ancient and poorest churches of Florence. The families that worshiped here were the Portinari, Cerchi, Ricci and Giuochi. The reason why it is so famous in Florence is because a love was born here. Dante Alighieri and Beatrice Portinari. Every morning Beatrice would leave her home on Via del Corso and head to the nearby church of Santa Margherita to pray with her mother. Every morning Dante would stand at the end of the street and would watch the young girl. He was enamored by her beauty and grace. He fell in love with her right then and there. Do you know how old Dante and Beatrice at this time? They were both 9 years old! The body of Beatrice are still buried in the church of Santa Margherita. Inside the church, there are paintings and depictions of Dante and Beatrice. It is definitely a place to stop and visit where two lovers met.
    Church of Santa Margherita
    Via Santa Margherita

Dante's Church
    Photo credit: Flickr

Continue reading...