A Saturday Miracle: AA finds my lost Samsung tablet

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Oct 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew home from Dusseldorf on Thursday. When I arrived at SFO, noticed my tablet, which I had put on the floor of the flight from DUS to ORD along with my camera, was not with me. I had taken it out figuring I'd be blocked in the window seat once the person next to me reclined. Ended up with an empty seat there. Didn't use my tablet during the flight as I found enough video on the AA tablet. Did use the camera and after the pre-arrival snack put it back in my bag. Just completely forgot I left the tablet on the floor come arrival at ORD. It was probably under the duvet that was also on the floor at end of flight.

Called the EXP desk from Walnut Creek BART on Thursday night as I was heading home. They gave me the phone for lost and found at ORD. Left a message with my details there.

Received a call from Rita at lost and found Friday morning. No sign of my tablet yet but she told me property from international can take 24-48 hours to get to her.

Rita just called back. She has my tablet and is arranging for it to be shipped to me on Monday (at my expense--I would not expect AA to pay for this). Very welcome news as I was not optimistic it would appear.

Thursday was an odd travel day for me. After I checked in at DUS, I left my travel wallet on top of my rollaboard, and didn't notice it wasn't in my pocket until I was halfway to the C terminal security gates. Fortunately, it was still sitting on top of the rollaboard.

When I arrived at Walnut Creek BART before my bus connection home, I had lost my Clipper card, a stored value card that recharges from a credit card when the balance gets low. Had it when I entered BART at SFO, and no idea what happened to it in the next hour. Wasn't anywhere around my seat. Bought a paper ticket to get out and called Clipper to block the card and reissue a new one. No activity on the card that evening.

I probably need to stay off airplanes for a while. Fortunately, next trip isn't until December. Hope I don't make the same mistakes all over again.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of the three potential losses, the Clipper card is probably the best to actually end up being gone for good :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only use that card for BART. I'm still waiting for SOLTRANS, the local transit provider here, to accept it. I've had some version of a Clipper card dating back to when BART ran the program under some other name and I was accepted in the trial program...maybe 10 years now? I can't even remember what the prior name of it was.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Translink?

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scotte vest? Saved me a few times since I've made myself get in the habit of putting passport, tablet, wallet, ticket back in the pocket where it belongs when each item is not in use ;)

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW good karma is coming to that honest AA employee who turned it in!

lapointdm likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the wallet issue once before in Shanghai. I took the wallet out of my pocket, to remove passport and credit card for hotel check-in, and also left it on top of the rollaboard out in the front lot. Noticed I didn't have it as I walked into the hotel lobby. It had fallen in the parking lot, and another guest walking in just knew it was mine when he saw me coming back out. He had given it to a parking lot attendant. Just don't know if I want to carry another article of clothing that I'd get minimal use out of, though (travel vest)- my rollaboard is pretty packed as it is and I go through a process of removing stuff just before I leave home.

That's.it. I see it actually came out in 2002, so I've been involved with one card or another for 13 years now.

I've already sent a thank you note to AA.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    More often than not when I've lost things they've been returned. I think the vast majority of people are pretty honest, but there are a few who are not helpful, and that tends to get remembered more often than not. I really think life is about helping others and we should all do are best so that when doing the right thing happens it should be considered the norm.

YULtide and Counsellor like this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The moral of the story is, if you call 911 during these crises, the returned items will never come back. Use more traditional and proper channels. ;)

10. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I left my iPad on an AA flight in March. I was rushing due to a family emergency and forgot I had used it during the flight. AA called my cell phone as I was at the baggage claim belt and told me about it. I asked them to hold it at the Lost and Found until the following Sunday when my next flight was.

They are very professional and efficient when it comes to returning lost/found items! Very thankful for that.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA did offer to hold my property for pickup, but right now my next trip isn't until December (Christmas markets in Germany) and that's award travel on US that doesn't involve going through ORD.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to say I've never experienced AA lost and found effectiveness, but I have. I left a Kindle once, and iPad once and a travel-wallet with lots of money, cards, passports etc. All of those were returned quickly. Now how can I learn not to forget things?

I do not know since I left a sim (I had just changed to the sim for my destination) night before last and a pair of prescription sunglasses a few days earlier in a rental car. Those later two are lost forever.

For me, at least, it's time to study techniques to stop testing AA lost and found!

I am happy you had success.

flyforawg likes this.