A reward for packing light

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by GoodBoy, May 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. American Airlines' preferential boarding

A reward for packing light

May 20th 2013, 10:06 by N.B. | WASHINGTON, D.C.
    EVER since American carriers began introducing fees for checked bags, overhead bin space, especially on short flights, has been at a premium. Cost-conscious travellers try to squeeze as much as possible into the largest possible carry-on bags, often causing chaos when boarding. In response, some airlines have occasionally allowed travellers without large bags to board flights first, rewarding those who pack light.
    Last week, American Airlines announced that it would formalise the practice, and its new boarding guidelines put customers without overhead luggage ahead of boarding groups two, three and four. (Elite frequent flyers, uniformed members of the armed forces, and first- and business-class passengers still get on before the light packers.)

Continued ...

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seriously doubt this will help much. A lot of the people who carry their entire personal belongings with them are non-frequent travelers and will have no idea that this even exists. It's kind of like a perk without a program, and if you don't belong to a program why are you going to be aware of a perk like earlier boarding when you fly maybe twice a year. I understand the aim, not so sure it will pan out so well.

GoodBoy likes this.
  3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only will it not help, I bet it will make things worse. Dollars to donuts some of those "personal item only" passengers will put that personal item in the overhead bin instead of under their seat, and later-boarding passengers with larger carryons will be forced to gate-check them at the last minute. How does this help?

If AA wants to persuade fewer people to bring large carryons onboard, they should reverse their fees and give everyone one free checked bag a la Southwest and charge a fee for carryons. (They can exempt elites and folks with the cobranded credit card, if they like.) Then the price-sensitive folks will quickly go back to checking bags, and the people carrying on large bags will only be those folks who REALLY need or want to do so.

GoodBoy, rockyrock and viguera like this.
  4. coffeeaddict

coffeeaddict Member

Status Points:
    It's only a matter of time until most airlines are charging for overhead bin space.

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see it now: you have to swipe your co-branded card to open the overhead bin...:eek:

GoodBoy likes this.