A recap of the development of the rebranding

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by 7Continents, Mar 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Went to a great presentation which included a director of customer experience for AA and 2 people from FutureBrands, the company that developed the new brand. Thought it might be an interesting post:

It's been decades since the last brand refresh. It was necessary. Nobody could tell the difference between Delta, United and American based on the brand any more. The goal was to be less formal than BA, but not as cool or hip as Virgin or JetBlue which were the airlines specifically mentioned. The process started two years ago, so the merger was totally serendipitous, but it seems as if the merger won't make any difference on the rebranding choices.
    The undisputed champion was the silver plane, which was also the biggest irony in that the largest order of new planes ever didn't have the aluminum skin. So silver paint was selected, and to bring the brand into the future, Apple laptop silver was the inspiration.
    The number of lines in the flag has more to do with the size of the plane being painted and the image looking good rather than copying the flag as such. It's actually the hardest thing to paint on the plane.

The fact that American airlines has the name American makes a huge difference both in the US and worldwide. It's respected. It's trusted. It means a certain level of service that is perceived as uniformly reliable in terms of operation. (Service expectations aside.) The fact that American and not American Airlines is on the side of each plane was a very conscious choice.
    The eagle was also important, with the older eagle seeming sinister, attacking and unfriendly. All the things the new American isn't. They showed the evolution of all the choices, and after seeing all the choices, I agree that they picked one of the best.
    The blue that was selected to be the "major" color was called turquoise blue.
    The rebranding will be included on all new planes and will be rolled out to hubs first then smaller stations based on traffic. New Flagship checkin locations are already designed and in production. The decor will be wood and white. Printed menus will be simple and elegant. All seats in all cabins on new planes will have IFE. It was noted that AA is the only US carrier with a true First Class. The spirit of what was said lead me to believe that First is not going away entirely, but that statement was not said with any specificity.

That's the recap. This is pretty much as far as the rebranding has been planned so far. There are next steps and of course it's an evolution that will go on for a while.
    Hope you found this interesting.

2. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, thanks. Personally, I'd disagree that "It was necessary," that "Nobody could tell the difference between Delta, United and American based on the brand any more," or with "the older eagle seeming sinister, attacking and unfriendly." Of the many things I could think of that might have been necessary for American to do, changing the brand iconery wasn't one of them. The differences between the iconery of the major airlines seemed pretty clear. The older eagle always seemed classic and proud to me.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I miss that angry eagle....

AisleSeatBob and anabolism like this.
  4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    He's pissed at the condition of the planes he'd riding on :)

5. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is true first class? UA has a FC cabin as well. Do they mean, like pajamas and turn down service, etc? Or does it mean something different??

6. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not in disagreement, but in the spirit of the actual panel discussion, this point was made and the counterpoint was that it's a new American, not the same 'ol American. The company had to change with the times,,,,,eventually !

7. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. Most likely the old team was itching to spend some money and leave its mark before leaving. Or maybe the new people, not wanting to be accountable, convinced the old ones to sneak these changes before leaving. Or some crafty salesman convinced them.

The fuselage's "dirty silver" is probably not a rescue team's dream color to look for against natural backgrounds in an emergency. The new eagle looks like an incomplete origami project where some student forgot to attach the left 1/2 of an A. Almost every airline and most other business use blue and red for their "unique" identity.

In the end, let's just hope that route network, service, and competitive fares will manage to save the brand. :D

iolaire and anabolism like this.
  8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that is the assertion they made. Personally I disagree, but then, I don't run the airline.

9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the decision was made long before the old team had any idea they'd be leaving. Probably they were itching to spend some money and make their mark, perhaps to celebrate their installation.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown Delta since they irked me in 1999.

Having switched from UA to AA last year, I can say there IS a difference in how their customer service feels.

That said, when it comes to which carrier to choose, I'm not sure Ma or Pa Kettle are going to care about the color of the plane, so long as they can get a cheap airfare.

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure Ma or Pa ever notice the color of the plane :)