A quick summary of lounge access options (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by gmarchetti, Sep 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's what I found out in my travels:
    1. If you have an Alaska Boardroom membership, you will get access to Alaska, AA, and DL lounges. You will NOT have access to BA lounges (or at least I was denied), although the Alaska web site states that "partner lounges" are available. You can bring family or up to 2 guests at no charge to Alaska and AA lounges.
    2. If you have an Amex platinum, you can get a priority pass select card, which will get you access to AS lounges when flying AS. Alas, there are not many of those. The Amex itself will get you access to Delta lounges when flying DL (no guests). It will not get you access to DL lounges when flying AS, even if there is no AS lounge and the DL one is listed as a boardroom partner. In addition, you will be able to use Centurion lounges - they are great but few.
    3. Priority Pass has a good number of lounges of varying quality. However, the "select" version that comes with Amex Platinum will NOT let you use United lounges, even when those are listed by Priority Pass.

uggboy likes this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. AA club access requires AS travel. DL club access requires AS or DL travel. Those are the specific partner lounges list on the AS website - not sure where you got the idea to try BA.
    2. PriorityPass access doesn't require any specific flights.
    3. Correct - any free prioritypass you'll get with a US banking institution (not just amex) will be a select flavor.

AAdmirals club membership/card access will also work for AS lounges with a same-day AA operated&marketed BP (doesn't need to be from that airport). There's also a day pass access option.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boardroom members get access to the United Club in Phoenix
    only, when traveling on AS only. United Club members get
    access to the Boardroom in Anchorage only, when traveling
    on UA or AS. This is a remnant of the cordial relationship
    between AS and CO.

Cf. a good précis at this Boarding Area article

Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  5. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS BR members now have access to the CX lounge at SFO when traveling on AS.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Priority Pass will also get you access to the BR when flying AA (at least at SEA).

Question: I assume the BR vouchers received by MVPGold75Ks are transferrable, that is can be used by someone other than the member? Since I have BR access with my PriorityPass, I'd like to gift a friend or two with mine.

7. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they are :)

8. bcalsk

bcalsk Active Member

Status Points:
    Ive been thrown out of better places. I just take my deck of cards membership and elite with credit cards and see what happens some days you win some days you lose.

9. Edelman

Edelman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take a look at Citi Prestige. The higher level of PP meaning spouse and all kids are free. AA just by flashing the credit card. $250 back on any airline charge against an annual fee of $350. First year you get 2 x $250 because rebate is a calendar and they are giving 50,000 Thank you points which are transferrable to airlines for $3000 in charges.

The Sapphire has lost it's place as king of the hill.

10. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The BR membership now includes access to many more AA clubs but NOT the American Premium or Flagship lounges as indicated on the web site:

American Airlines Admirals Clubs®
    Board Room members with same day travel on a purchased or redeemed mileage ticket on Alaska Airlines or American Airlines have access to all Admirals Club locations listed below. Members also get complimentary access for their immediate family (spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21) or two guests. Board Room members and their guests do not have access to American Premium or Flagship Lounges.

Atlanta
    Austin
    Boston (2)
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Buffalo
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Charlotte (2)
    Chicago (2)
    Dallas (4)
    Denver
    Greensboro
    Hartford