A question for those familiar with "old" program

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by sargenet, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently signed up for Rapid Rewards a few days BEFORE they switched to the new program. Southwest was nice enough to go back and give me credit for the flights I have flown in the last two years.

So I now have 8 credits and need about to earn 8700 or so more to get a free "flight award". I am trying to rack up those miles with my new Southwest Credit Card and also Southwest Dining program. I need to get as many as I can before June, when my credits start to expire. Can anyone tell me what a "free flight award" is?? Is this a one way flight or a roundtrip flight? Since I wasn't familiar with the old "16" award I am not sure what that would earn me. (and can't find the info online...)

I don't mind buying the extra miles in June to secure an award ticket, but don't want to pay $150 to buy miles that are just going to get me a one way ticket that might only be worth $150!! Thanks

2. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's issued as a round-trip award ticket, can be used as two separate one ways for two different people. It is subject to award seat availability, no blackout dates or price limit, just needs seats available.

Lyssa and aitchly like this.
  3. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Kelsey! I wasn't sure at all. Tried to call Southwest a few times...but seems like everyone is calling them and the hold time is crazy!

4. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it's been busy! Today was actually a lot better, I'm not sure of your hours, but around 12am CST this morning, it was pretty slow, so if you need to call, the later, the better for the time being!

5. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    THe "old" award ticket that you are trying to achieve IS subject to award seat availability. Just because there is a seat open on the plane, doesn't mean that you can book it with the "old" award.