A question for the throbbing brain that is the readers of this board.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Photonerd71, Apr 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, In my goal of visiting all 50 states I only have one left. I noticed we can get credit and book flight on Alaska air via the AA site. Question 1 is just want to verify we get eqm's on these flights (assuming booking through AA.) The flight to ANC should wrap up my gold qualification this summer. And #2 will i get my boarding pass from AA or will I have to check in with AA at SEA airport? I just want to make sure I leave myself enough time in SEA to make the change. (As a last minute #3 question...if I check a bag will they xfer it automatically in SEA from AA to Alaska air or will I have to claim and recheck. (Usually use carry on only but thinking about bringing camera gear this trip)l
    Thais for the info

2. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't need to book Alaska Airlines flights on AA.com for them to earn full redeemable and elite qualifying miles--AS marketed and operated flights always earn full RDMs and EQMs, whether bought through AA.com, alaskaair.com, Orbitz, etc.

You also don't need to buy the AA codeshare in order to earn same.

You also don't need to buy the AA codeshare or buy from AA.com to get any elite benefits coming to you (such as priority seating or boarding). As above, those benefits are available irrespective of sales channel.

If your first flight of the itinerary is on an Alaska Airlines operated flight, you'll check in with AS. They will take any bags you have, and tag them to your final destination. They will issue your boarding passes, and if you have an AA flight later in the itinerary they should issue your AA boarding passes as well. If your first flight is on AA, then AA should check your bags through to your final destination, and AA will issue boarding passes for the entire itinerary, including your AS segment(s).

I'm not sure what your question about baggage is, despite reading it twice. AA and AS do have an interline baggage agreement though, so it should be no problem for either AA or AS to check your bags through to your final destination if your first flight(s) is/are operated by one and your ongoing flights are operated by the other. It's easiest to accomplish this by booking the flights on the same PNR, but if you don't they should still be able to check your bags all the way through as long as you bring both itineraries.

3. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    My plan is IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC and back. (The sea-anc part on as. The rest on AA).

Will AA give me boarding passes all the way to
    Alaska in IAH or will I have to get the last one in SEA?
    And am i reading correctly that once i check my bag in IAH i won't touch it again until ANC.

Sorry about the basic questions, i come from CO/UA and AA only flights where i didn't have to deal with multi carriers. (Wait until i start planning my January birthday trip to Asia you all will get sick of my questions for that trip. :)

4. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA should check the bags through in Houston. You wouldn't see them again until you get to Anchorage, unless you have a long layover in Seattle.

Frankly, I'd suggest nixing AA altogether from your itinerary. You should consider doing IAH-SEA-ANC on all AS metal. AS offer this as a direct flight both ways; currently that flight leaves Houston at 6:25 PM and arrives in Anchorage just before 1 AM the following morning, with a return out of Anchorage at 6:20 AM arriving to Houston just before 6 PM. You'll save yourself a bunch of time doing it all on AS, and as I mentioned above any elite bennies you have coming to you will be recognised by AS even if you buy the ticket on alaskaair.com.

5. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the time of year, you could also fly through Dallas and catch AA's DFW-ANC non-stop flight. There are other options available for connections as well--there's really no need to connect twice for this itinerary unless you like hanging out in airports.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is what I thought of when I first read the post - "If you're concerned about benefits and EQM why not take the DFW flight if it's available".

But yes, the AS benefits are nice even if you aren't able to upgrade.

Microwave likes this.
  7. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    OK thanks. The only benefits i have right now are from the citi word elite card. (This trip along with finishing my 50 state goal will give me true gold with AA). I didn't know about the direct flight from DFW (been using the android phone app and it doesn't show everything in a easy format) but that sounds better then visiting seatac.

8. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    DFW-ANC is a seasonal route for AA, but the good news is that it's operated by a 752, which leaves some pretty good seats in coach to select with your faux Gold status... Think row 9, and 10A/F.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which are great seats. I used to prefer 10A/F so I could rest my head against the wall while sleeping, but had a bad experience with those seats on a KOA-LAX flight and have switched to Row 9 instead.

When are you planning on going? As Microwave mentioned, it's a seasonal route so it might not be operating in your timeframe. AA used to have ORD-ANC as well, but didn't load it into the schedule this year, sadly.

10. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the good info. Time frame is probably August (be a good time for a break from the Texas blast furnace). Seats have been noted. When i get a chance ill break out the computer and look for flight options. (My schedule is flexible, so I'm pretty open on days to travel).

I consider my status "Aluminum". Not a valuable as gold or platinum (or silver, diamond on other airlines) but it does have some value to those of us flyers who log under 100k per year. :)

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The DFW-ANC flight runs till the end of September, so you're in luck if you go that route.

Microwave likes this.
  12. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Perfect thanks.