A positive side of automated systems: getting bonus miles w/o asking

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Jul 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure this is nothing new to some of the more seasoned on here, but I wanted to post a positive development that impressed me. Had a problem with AA last Friday that resulted in my rewards-ticket flight being disrupted mid-air, returning to the airport, and a 20-hour delay in reaching my destination. (An indication to the cockpit that could have meant a fire -- but there was no fire.) AA picked up the night at a hotel and got me home, still in first-class, the next day, and I was quite prepared to leave it at that. Well, five days later I got an unsolicited e-mailed apology crediting me with a quite generous AAdvantage bonus on top of all that. Of course I would have preferred the whole matter would never have happened (particularly on my birthday!), but I appreciated the automated system that tracked me down and credited me. Considering I just enrolled in milepoint a few days ago out of frustration with another (hotel) company's dysfunctional automated systems, I felt it was only fair that I also post kudos to AA's.

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great news! How many miles if you don't mind my asking? And what's your status level? And happy belated bday.

Travelman and Travelsavant like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely, the positive needs to be reported as well as the negative! :)

Travelman, flacey8 and Travelsavant like this.
  4. msg

msg Active Member

Status Points:
    I had that happen once. I was flying JFK-BRU, and the flight was delayed by a mechanical problem something like four hours. It didn't affect me too much - I was a newly-minted EXP at the time, so I just went to the FL and had the dinner I didn't have time to get if the plane kept to its scheduled layover. A few days later, I received 5,000 or 10,000 bonus miles and an apology.

In retrospect, I think the generous bonus was due in part because EC 261/2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004) had recently taken effect, and a multi-hour delay should have resulted in the payment of a couple hundred euros. By pre-emptively giving me miles, AA made me happy enough not to ask for money.

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do those EU regulations apply for U.S. departures, though?

I had a 24 hr delay earlier this year BRU-U.S. and e-mailed AA to claim EU compensation. They denied it citing exceptional circumstances for the mechanical delay (canceled at the gate) and I did not pursue it with the EU, though I know one traveler on the flight who did. They covered airport hotel (Sheraton), hotel catered lunch and dinner (pretty bland food...would have preferred a voucher towards meals), and gave me 15,000 miles.

After lunch I went into Brussels for the afternoon and then came back out the hotel in time for dinner. Didn't have any plans to be anywhere the next day so the delay didn't impact me much.