A phenomonom, pet peeve and yankees

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by toddreg, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, first off, this is not intended to be negative towards any certain group of people. And, I am originally from PA so I am not being biased in this observation. I am merely presenting my experience with this phenomenon.

We just returned from a week at the beach (Hilton Head). Now this time of year is not that crowded. And high tide wasn't until after 5 every day we were there so most of the day from 10 or so on there is plenty of beach real estate available.

I have noticed this over the past few trips but this time I officially declared it a "phenomonom". My typical routine- 1-arrive at beach 2- grab all you can carry and head down 3- decide whether to go left or right 4- pick out a spot never within say 20 feet or more of someone else and never smack dab in front of them 5- set up chairs etc and sit down for a bit of peace and relaxation.

Post Step #5 is where the phenomonom rears its ugly head. Three times this week someone came and roosted within 8 feet on one occasion, 4 on another and 3 1/2 the third time. I stepped this off so I am not exagarating. This ticks me off in case you don't get the drift of where this is going. Why on in the name of Sam would you go to a wide open beach and perch yourself right on top of someone else. It is plain rude and uncalled for.

The interesting fact is that there is typically a northern accent involved. Remember they are so close it is not a problem to hear this accent clearly and distinctly. You also learn all about their jobs (they are on the cell phones most of the time) their familiy problems and the hushed gripping at their kids to do this or not do that.

On the last occassion it was a group of old ladies who not only located 3 1/2 feet from us literally. They were actually standing over me at one point and when I gave them the look one said "we will be out of your sun in a minute". They were actually casting a shadow over us so they obviously realized how close they were. If this wasn't bad enough they then set up the second of two of the domed beach tent things 3 feet smack dab in front of us. I am completely serious, we could not see the ocean sitting in our chairs. We had to move our stuff. Outrageous I say, outrageous.

Now my only explanation is that Yankees are used to their habitat involving close quarters with all the city congestion and what not that they are used to this and it doesn't bother them. What they need to realize is that they are in the South and here we like our space. And, when in Rome do as the Romans do. I think we need to lobby for beach etiquette legislation that makes it illegal to encroach within each parties God given 15x15 area. This should be posted and adhered to in all cases.

Seriously folks, life is a lot better and things run smoother with a little consideration for ones fellow man. This is true at home, work or on vacation. So, this summer, for those of you headed out to the beach show some respect and consideration.

Oh, by the way. Those ladies didn't like all the sea gulls swooping around their tent city. I had a cup full of crushed tater chips and bread from lunch that I accidentally dropped behind their tent city on the way back from lunch. I know, I know how clumsy of me but accident will happen!!!!!

ctporter, Gargoyle and SC Flier like this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a terrible shame about your clumsiness, bless your heart!

As soon as I got into the second paragraph, I knew exactly where this was headed!

ctporter and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Fortunately the birds were kind enough to clean up after you. Knowing birds as I do, they were able to collect every single crumb. :p

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    And knowing seagulls as I do, they probably left their own mess, too.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a glorious revenge! I am in awe

Gargoyle likes this.