A number of questions following the demise of BMI...

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by oneluckybastard, Apr 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    Apologies for the basic questions but members here seem to be tolerant of newbies.

1) BA have stated that they will not close Diamond Club. Why would they need to keep it running after May 31 anyway, when * Alliance miles can no longer be earned? Why not simply integrate DC into EC?

2) What is now the next 'best' *Alliance airline to work towards achieving *S and *G status? And the most generous for miles? Turkish and Aegean seem to be fairly generous.

3) A previous thread in this group hints at the fact that there is better value in crediting any new BA and BMI miles to DC rather than EC; is this correct?

4) As DC Gold, I will be tier matched to EC Gold, presumably until the end of my current DC points year. As I have no hope of getting EC Gold, am I better off crediting BMI flights to another *Alliance programme by May 31st?

5) Finally, adl73x mentions a 'soft landing' to BA Silver after a year of BA Gold in this thread http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/diamond-club-avios.33981/. Is this true, and automatic?

From the tone of the announcements and FAQs, all information currently available seems to be very short-term. I guess we will know more when BA announces tier match info in May and the transfer tool in July.

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the short term, they are still different programmes with different rules. *A is not the be-all and end-all of Diamond Club. There are other partners that are not *A airlines, and those partnerships may continue for a period beyond 31 May.
    Yes, and yes.

oneluckybastard likes this.
  3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both are generous. If you want to accumulate miles over time, Turkish has a hard 3 year expiry. I like OZ (Asiana) for twelve year expiry, only 40k to Star Gold over two years, and status is valid for two years. Also the lowest lifetime Gold at 500k. There are lower earn/burn values though, so it will depend what is important to you. A3 (Aegean) is the most popular choice.

If you use Avios as the base currency, then maybe. For domestic UK routes, bmi will earn 300, 600, 900 or 1200 per sector depending on the fare paid. Avios will earn 500, (or 1000 if you are BA Silver or BA Gold).

You should be matched to BAEC Gold for 12 months from the date you match. With BA's soft landing, that will give you 1 year of Gold and one year of Silver, all the time with lounge access across the One World network. For the soft landing to apply, you will need to fly four IAG sectors (ie a BA or IB marketed flight) during your Gold year.

Answers forthcoming today seemed to hint that the Status Match will be available from 1st May at least until 3rd July, so you could wait until the the last minute to match your BD Gold to BA Gold, and credit miles to other *A airlines in the meantime. Just be aware that the Lufthansa *A airlines will not earn miles or status on bmi, and other *A carriers may not have a minimum earned mileage as bmi and BA do. If you are flying UK domestic the distances are pretty small, so programmes that earn "actual" mileage will not return much for regular short distance travel.

As Globaliser said, yes and yes, but with my caveat above of the minimum of 4 IAG sectors in the year.

4. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks for your detailed reply. I had looked at the OZ FFP but must have misread that some of the mileage had to be flown on OZ metal.

A3 has only 16,000 miles for *G, but are the miles awarded at the same ratio as OZ or Turkish? 16,000 in one year is likely to be easier/quicker than 40k over two years with OZ, even if it is valid for two years. I should be able to do 16k with * every year fairly easily.

adl73x likes this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP oneluckybastard!

I just qualified for A3*G to replace my BD*G and it actually takes 20K to become *G after joining the program. 4K to get to *S and then a further 16K to get to *G. I would say earning rates are somewhat similar to BD. I credited LH and TG flights in J and they all earned 200%, but SQ premium classes would only earn 125% and 150%.

Also my *S status was valid until Dec 2015 and I would expect my new *G status to have the same validity period also. And at this point no one seems to know what it takes to renew the status, but most people seem to think that as long as you make a qualifying flight every 24 months then your *G will be renewed.

So to me, A3 is a very attractive program indeed as now that I have secured *G until at least end of 2015, I can work on getting statuses on other alliances.