A night in DC - SEA-ORD-DCA-ORD-DCA AA and the Park Hyatt Washington

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Lalala, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to FT, we found some decent fares to DCA from SEA. Most required an overnight, but since we actually like DC and have friends to visit, we decided to jump on two of these fares. Approximately 5K of EQM for 223 bucks and a gov't rate was available at the Park Hyatt, TH's hotel of choice.

Yes, we are eligible for a gov't rate and you can now use them for personal travel, or so they said in Ethics training.

Flight is ungodly early - 6am. All but one segment, the last ticketed segment cleared at 100 hours. Looking at our itinerary, we realized we had a super long layover in ORD. We figured we would try for an earlier flight and asked the nice ticket agent in SEA to put us on the list. She said it looked good.

Through Security, I got selected for radiation screening. I had not obtrusive pat down in public from a very apologetic TSA agent. The 12 year olds gawking at me have so much to be sad about - this is what they will endure the rest of their lives. To the Dilletante for TH's extra bitter mocha and to the gate. We skipped the board room and went right to the SEA AC.

feet.jpg

The SEA Admiral's club.
    Boarding was the usual bluetooth wearing, overstuffed carry on loaded and seatbelt extender needing crowd. We didn't have a lot of bags, so it all worked out fine. Crew was minimal. TH slept most of the way. I enjoyed my crispix cereal and read and slept. Flight was very quick, 3 hours and 11 minutes into ORD. Ran to the 12:10 departure gate and managed to get seats and upgrades. My first experience in the new RJs. Nice. Great FA, TH had lunch. I skipped it and enjoyed my dd coffee and donut purchased with my Valentine's day gift card.

Arrive to DCA on a nice and cold, but sunny day, quite the contrast to Seattle's blustery weather.

We Waited forever for the train to Foggy Bottom. The Walk from Foggy Bottom to PH is okay without bags. I love this hotel, I try and stay here as often as possible, the beds are divine and the service is great. I loved it before the remodel. The only thing I don't love about it now is the lack of real upgrades I have received since it was remodeled. Here is a link to a set of pictures I took shortly after the remodel.

Reservation was in TH's name, she's a PLT. They moved the reservation into my name and we got a better room. Our trip to DC was super short, so the free breakfast was not used, nor did we get a paper. I wish they would just give us the option of a twenty dollar tea voucher in lieu of breakfast that we could use at tea time. I'll ask next time. We were given a nice Jr. suite or King Deluxe which was at the end of the hallway. I love the room. I wish it came with a couch instead of chairs.

We dropped off stuff and then went in search of food. We walked towards Georgetown and ate at Le Pain Quotidien, which can be hit or miss. This time it was a miss and an expensive one at that. The location is great for people watching. While there is some charm left on M street in Georgetown, most of the chain stores are the same as the ones down the street from me at home. It is not that exciting for shopping, but we needed to stretch our legs a bit. TH did buy some stuff at Dean & Deluca. The wine section has taken over the very important candy section. I find this defective. We went back to hotel, and chilled for a bit.

Our dinner plans were moderately concrete, we knew who we were going out with, but not sure where and when. The plan was to meet up with Joanek's sissy Fly16 and her charming husband to dine at Indique Heights in Friendship Heights. IH is a high-end Indian restaurant and was very good. I think it would be even better not on the Saturday night of St. Valentine's day. As usual the conversation was excellent and we always love seeing our Washington DC family.

Joanek, was in Seattle. We would see her the next day.

Back to hotel and to bed...I hate early morning flights, I keep on looking at the clock and never feel rested the next morning. We got up early, decided to try and go back through ORD instead of DFW, shaving 2 hours off our arrival time (although leaving an hour earlier). We checked out, got the world's most cautious cab driver and off we went. The American agent was able to change all of our flights, but it seemed to be taking forever. We received our boarding passes and noticed we were now seated all the way in the back of the plane. I was seated next to the felon and TH was seated in a middle seat next to the gassy baby and the inoperable bathroom. Awesome. Miffed, we went through security and the kind AC front desk person moved us into the exit row. We were 1 and 2 on the upgrade list and it looked good.

DD is not good at DCA, at least after security. Bleh.

Upgrades clear, so more crispix for me. F is full of a Chinese trade delegation who apparently didn't speak any English. One had a new Vuitton rollaboard duffle bag that he refused to crush in order for it to fit in the overhead and try as he may it wouldn't fit under the seat. Much discussion ensued about having to check it. They ended up removing most of the electronics contained in the bag by placing it one of the gray bags they used for garbage. Alas, the roll aboard/duffle now fit in the overhead. Thank the gods for that crisis aversion. Every two minutes during boarding, one person from the delegation would come up to the galley and ask the FA for hot water for their cup of noodles. It happened at least five times and then two more refills. The FA was very good humored during the boarding process and asked if anyone in first was planning on baking a cake. We took off on time and a speedy flight time to ORD.

Landed in ORD, went to AC, hung out. Got on next flight to SEA, upgrades cleared at gate and we got TH's preferred bulkhead seats. Pleasant crew and more crispix for breakfast, the banana was not to my desired ripeness, but still edible. We landed on time, which was a miracle considering the winds. We picked up car and Joanek at the Grand Hyatt and hit the farmer's market for comestibles and then spent the afternoon with my family and Ernest.

All in all a decent coast to coast day...

Attached Files:

gleff and violist like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice report Lalala. Minus the gassy baby![​IMG]

3. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry to have missed you--and the great dinner. But glad that y'all returned home in time to see me during my brief stop in Seattle!

4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought AA doesn't have a club at SEA?

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report, Lalala!

6. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does, there is a Tullys and a La Pisa Cafe adjacent to gates A9. That serves as the club.

7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh! That explains the 10% (?) off for AC members!

8. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they should negotiate a free latte for a International itinerary.