a night at Hilton FCO, which Card to use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cotter77, Aug 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i am not a noob, but i only travel a few times a year so deciding which card to use where is still a tough decision
    I use most of my cards geared towards banking miles for premium cabin flights
    I have to stay at FCO next saturday night. planning on Hilton FCO since gotta return the car there and its easier that my preferred SPG brand hotels, closer to city.
    I am Hhonors silver
    Am i better off paying for room by Hhonors AMEX or Chases Sapphire preferref (2x travel points)
    and am i best booking on hilton website?

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  2. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    neither . Id use 30k in HH pts and stay at the HGI @ FCO.

I see the HGI is 145 euro, and the Hilton is 195 euro, this is the reason I have my pts. The Hilton is 40k in pts. Id pull up to the HGI unload and then return the car walk over either to where the HGI shuttle p/u is by the Term or go into the Hil and ask them to call the HGI and inform them that a guest needs a p/u from there (yes they will call).

Ive stayed at both I liked that I could walk between the Term (ok arrivals as departures to the US is a far Term) and as a Diamond they gave me free breakfst at HGI, but no lounge but did give me a couple of bottles of water. Id go back to the HGI if I needed a place @ FCO just to save the 10k in pts

If youre set on paying those crazy rates at least use a CC that doesnt charge Forex fees

uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want HHonors points you'll need to book on the website. If you don't care, you may find lower rates elsewhere. Regardless, if you're paying I have to second the comment by craz: USE A CARD WITH NO FOREX FEE!

Enjoy Rome!

4. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah
    HGI doesnt seem likely to work due to rooms....i have party of 3
    i have 60k points
    think i can do a king at HGI with a cot? would def prefer to save 10k points if i can

5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    dont know, Id do either with Pts rather then pay $250+ for a room. Id try to squeeze into the HGI. Its only for 1 night diont know your itin but The Hil has a free shuttle bus that drops not far from Circus Maximus , so you could even drop off everything at the HGI, head over and catch the Hils bus into the city and take it back to the Hil and have them call the HGI for a p/u

In the end its an airport hotel and the Hotels are usually very expensive and a great use for my pts, the Marriott CY even charges for using their shuttle., per person

6. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    just called Hhonors. they wont allow 3 adults in a room at either HGI or the hilton
    no cots.
    sucks.
    def not buying 2 rooms
    any recs for out near FCO? maybe i go for an SPG property closer to rome?

7. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    a friend had a large room at The Hil on pts for himself and his 3 nieces and newphews and they had I believe a pulled out sofa and rollaway. That saved me from having to take 1 of his nephews into my room with me

cant speak about the HGI since I was alone that time, why not ring up each and ask, so slum it and get 2 Doubles and do 2 in 1 and 1 in the other or as friend do they simply push the 2 beds together and manage with all 3 that way.

Its not the most comfortable but if its only for 1 night you can get away with it, just dont have all 3walk in at the same time

I think you will find this in most every hotel in Europe the rooms arent US sized

btw my friend only puts down 2 people and deals with it when hes at the front desk

8. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the bigger rooms are 70-90k points i think
    first i will try calling the hotels directly and see if they have cots...and that the cot can fit in the room
    if not then i think i am going to stay 10 miles away at SPG roma resort for 133$

9. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    he booked just a reg room for the 40k at the Hil, forgot he was a Diamond so maybe that helped him out , but they didnt charge him anything extra and he did gamble and didnt contact the Hotel beforehand, hes in Europe now again with 3 kids and is simply showing up with the kids in tow and saying what he needs when he gets there

good luck

10. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i am only silver
    decided to go with the hilton hotel for 40k
    better location and bus shuttles.
    higher end...i figured just a better overall chance of success
    checked in on saturday, asked for rollaway bed. he needed all three guests passports. then confirmed i needed a bed and not a crib. no problems, no hassles
    went to the room and found it to be a handicap access room and handcapped bathroom.
    it was a little wierd but it got me what i needed.
    my dissappointment was no free internet...i think that really blows.
    my last hilton stay at a courtyard suites they hooked me up....oh well
    the shuttle bus was a bit of a scam i would say.....took forever and there was a side trip for the driver to get dropped off at home and switch drivers...i plan on calling and complaining about that one.

11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to remember that hotels can't put a rollaway bed in a room sometimes because of fire codes. It's disappointing but hotels have to protect their guests just in case anything happens so they aren't liable for anything. I'm not sure how it is like in Italy but for the States it's like that especially in the cities that have strict rules.

12. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    most chains wont give free internet to their low tier Elites

Gald to hear it worked out with the rollaway

never heard of a Hilton Courtyard suites

the bus is very fast during no-rush hour times, never ran into the changing of the guard and taking everyone for the extra ride