A new way to upgrade...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dhammer53, Dec 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earlier today, I was talking to my son about gifting him status, since I'm Million Miler. My wife had this gift in 2012, but my son will be in the air for business in 2013, so I'm going to switch the giftee.

When he went to check in for his P.S. flight, he was just shooting the breeze with the agent and telling her that he'll have status in 2013. I don't know how full the flight was in the back, but the agent handed him his new boarding pass and told him he's about to get a taste of said status.

His new seat is in row 11. ;)

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that the last row of J?

BWIflyer and Travelsavant like this.
  3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. It's never been my seat of choice. He did change his seat at the gate to Row 9 after I gently suggested that he ask. ;)

Travelsavant and goalie like this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a nice welcome to Gold status, moreso since p.s. is not a UDU route! Congrats to him, and row 9 is always what I choose.

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to note that this post is not in any way understandable by newbies.

Sunshine7, BWIflyer and Travelsavant like this.
  6. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a whole lexicon [this might help http://milepoint.com/forums/pages/glossary/] used by frequent flyers! In the Mileage Plus program, if you are a Million Mile flyer you get certain benefits, one of which is granting elite status to another person. Usually this is for 1 calendar year, but in this instance, the UA gate agent was kind enough to bestow an upgrade to this new elite member a little before his status was actually granted. The subsequent conversation was about his route & seat; PS is the 3-class, non-stop routes between SFO or LAX & JFK, & are very difficult to get upgrades on without using an upgrade instrument. dhammer's son was very lucky getting a "freebie".

IDGflygirl, Flyer1976 and FlyingBear like this.
  7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the P.S. flights require an instrument unless you get an op-up, which is what might have happened to dhammer's son (unless dhammer sponsored his son). No complimentary premier upgrades on P.S. flights (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...?SID=C186DA9E1A4D41FDB49CF0F5C1B0AC2D#regions).

Travelsavant and IDGflygirl like this.
  8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Point being, as much as the forum tries to be friendly to new users, it is possible to write a whole message here that might as well go through 5 iterations of Google translate. Note that not all the terms are in the glossary, for example. It was just a fun little observation :)

Travelsavant likes this.
  9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FlyingBear. Sorry, I should have know better. When you're around the boards for as long as I've been, you forget that multiple readers don't understand what's being written. I remember Randy (board founder) wrote several sentences in code that only an oldtimer would have been able to understand. He did that to prove a point.

Thanks for the reminder.

genemk2, I'm guessing UA (United) needed to move some people up to C (business), and there may not have been many flyers sitting in the back with status on a Sunday night at 6:30. I'm waiting for an update.

10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow that means I guess I'm not a n00b.

Congrates to dh's son=)

8MiHi and Travelsavant like this.
  11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok. Let's see if you can de-code this. My son flew C on UA P.S. JFK/SFO. He may have been op-upped from Y to C, but he hoped for J. Let's not forget, as the son of an old timer on Flyertalk and Milepoint, he was really hoping to score a VDB too. He did enjoy his ride on the 75, and didn't complain about the IFE. Since he slept, I didn't ask him about Channel 9.

12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    i dont get 75 & Ch9 =)

And I thought C|J were interchangeable... some sort of booking class benefit I don't know about I guess.

Travelsavant likes this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    7 5 is an abbreviation for 757.

Channel 9 is an audio channel on United where you can listen in to Pilot/ATC (Air Traffic Control) conversations. That of course is subject to the owners (a pilot reference going back to the early 2000's) mood on that particular day. ;)

Travelsavant, malikguy and edekba like this.
  14. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do they have a session on this in FTU.

Travelsavant likes this.
  15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make a suggestion, or better yet, send a PM (private message) to Randy (Milepoint and Flyertalk founder).

Travelsavant likes this.
  16. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad to say that the PS is going away... And that the prices of those flights are just insanely out of order.. Especially in F....

Travelsavant likes this.
  17. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing, If that were me the result would have been "sorry the flight is full, you'll have to be re-routed".
    Got to get rid of this black cloud. :p

18. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I typically pay $320 RT plus upgrade instruments/miles. I think it's cheaper that way ;).

8MiHi, Travelsavant and General_Flyer like this.
  19. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't agree with you more! :)

But there's the tiny little detail that I'm not a UA elite.. And I every time I tried to book w/ LH miles, P.S. never came up in conversation with the agent.....

Travelsavant likes this.
  20. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of my greatest travel stories begin precisely the same way... ;)

Travelsavant and Flyer1976 like this.
  21. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was upgraded once just for filling out a FF application. Shukran, Etihad!

Travelsavant and Flyer1976 like this.
  22. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I first starting flying on the old 3 class 767's JFK/LAX or SFO, it would set me back $55 one-way or $110 roundtrip. That was in the early 90's. If I recall, you could buy upgrade certs in a book of four 500 milers for ~$60. Prices would go up yearly, but you were able to load up before the increase. When UA stopped selling upgrade books, roundtrip upgrades were costing ~$500. If I were to guess, that was more then ten years ago. Maybe one of the oldtimers can help me out.

goalie likes this.
  23. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember the exact price, but that sounds about right. I'd say they were at $100 for 4 for quite awhile. And, in the early days, double UGs were permitted, making the JFK flight almost as good as an int'l F flight at the time (caviar with vodka chilled in the ice sculpture, etc. etc.) My other favorite double UG route was HNL/SFO redeye so I could lie down on the flight home, have a couple drinks right after takeoff, and pretend to be productive at work when I got home.

24. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    another example of how much discretion gate agents have....... be kind to your neighborhood gatekeeper!!! (a lesson I learned in Elementary School after being tardy one too many days!!!)

8MiHi likes this.
  25. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It never hurts to smile and be nice. The good Karma you get from it always (eventually) comes back to you.

8MiHi, HiIslands and goalie like this.