A new status for food amenity in first class

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Aug 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm booked on an ORD-LGA flight coming up this week and it departs ORD at 2pm and arrives at 515pm. So it's not exactly a meal time. What I find odd is this status under the food amenities tab for the flight:

United First: No meal or snack available; beverage service only
    United Economy: Snack boxes available for purchase

I'm assuming this means the usual snack basket will be thrown around in first class but usually United puts "refreshments" as the amenity. I've never seen the above status.

-Rob

2. skibum3d

skibum3d Active Member

Status Points:
    I've had two flights with the same language in the last week, and they both meant exactly what you quoted. There was no snack basket on either, just a drink service. Perhaps a silent devaluation?

peter3267 likes this.
  3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So the only way you're getting food on the plane is if you pay for it? And those in first class get absolutely nothing? (In first class whether CPU'd, RPU'd, GPU'd or paid for it).

That's BS. I'll be asking for a snack box from the back if there's no basket up front. I hear some agents will provide it and some agents won't.

-Rob

4. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a couple of flights recently between IAH-DEN when BOB snacks were not offered in back - only beverages.
    The time I was upgraded, it was beverage only up front. These were both mid-morning flights.

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Except as my original post points out it says "Snacks for purchase" in economy which BOB *is* offered.

-Rob

6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    And it said snacks for purchase on my flights too - but they were not offered. I don't know if they just didn't want to load the cart and fetched one at a time if someone asked, but they didn't offer to sell..... I was sitting in exit row so definitely would have seen the snack cart had it been brought out.

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Got it. That wasn't clear in your first message. Thanks.

I'll update this thread after my flight.

-Rob

8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last 2 ORD-EWR flights only had drink service in F...not even a snack basket. The FAs did offer to sell Y snacks to anyone in F that wanted to buy them.

9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So my ORD-LGA flight did have the snack basket in F. The crew did their usual post-departure announcements and said the first cart in coach would be for drinks and the second cart was for snacks. So there was hope for me getting some kind of snack in F. The basket was the usual fare and pretty decent. Not sure why they've created this status for beverage service only and specifically call out not even snacks when in fact snacks are sold in the back and offered in the front (at least on my flight).

-Rob