A new Egypt.....and Mile Point.

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by milchap, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Egypt yesterday clamoured with euphoria that a new era was at hand.

This morning Egypt awoke with the realization that the past 17 days were only a call for a new beginning and that the dream of a new Egypt was ahead for the taking. A new Egypt was theirs to be built. The question today for Egyptians will be : What next now that we have the opportnity to change Egypt?

Since the introduction of the beta version of a new website, Mile Point has been the scene of a certain similar euphoria. The beta version of mile point reminds me a bit like Tahrir Square in Cairo. Less than a week ago, a call went out to help build a new frequent flyer site. Like Tahrir Square, this beta version became an agora for change, for improvement, for renewal. The agora of this beta version is filling with new members filled with hope for the future of frequent flying. Page after page of Mile Point bears witness to joy at the possibility of a new beginning. Page after page states firm resolve to help build a frequent flyer community anchored on mutual respect, tolerance for other views and the offer of a helping hand.

On 1 March 2011, the beta version goes live.

We will leave our version of Tahrir square to return to our daily lives. Like the people of Egypt, the future lies ahead. A future Egyptians will help build.... and a frequent flyer future we will help build.

I have already posted this quote on another thread I post it again because that I find that it encapsulates the spirity of this musing:

"If people who are linked only by a common passion for travel, be it for business or simply pleasure, can reach out with a helping hand, there is indeed hope for the world community to come together in a common human experience of helping each other because that is the right thing to do"
    (airbus320 in an address to a non profit organization Dec 2005)

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    People linked by a common thread, whether that thread be travel, politics, religion, clean water, food for the hungry, or any number of "causes" hold within their hands to power to change the future. We cannot go back and change the past, but the future is ours to write. Let us never forget the past and how it brought us to this point of demanding change. For if we forget, we will shortly lose hope and return to the past that we once grew to despise.

Chimpy and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we all agree that that theres a direct correlation between the start of MiPo and the democratization of Egypt? This is one hell of a powerful Forum....what next? China bows to our wishes??? :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Egypt is 5000 years old. It has reached a fork in the road - it may take the fork to a better place, or the other fork to a worse place. We all wish them well and hope they take the fork to the better place.

MP is a week old. It is clay, to be molded into something. If it isn't a better place, we all have other places to go. It is all upside and no potential downside for us. We hope that it becomes a better place, but if it doesn't, we won't be worse off for it than if it never had existed.

5. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being originally from behind the "iron curtain", I would suggest that transformation of Egypt will take some time. The country I come originally from turned around in 1989 and is still far away from being true democracy and from realizing all the dreams people were fighting (including me) for... Let’s wish Egypt all the best but also let’s hold our horses… It will take long time to make things different…