"A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact Reservations"

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pat+, Feb 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeing this message on continental.com on itins that involve mixed metals and cross-metal upgrades. I'm inclined to believe it's a bug, but it's not consistent since it doesn't appear on all itineraries. United.com shows all flights as confirmed. Besides, continental.com also indicates that eTickets are issued and confirmed.

Bug? Has anyone seen a similar issue?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There may also be a message that requests that you contact a CSR. I receive such messages frequently, which could be due to a change of metal, rebooking because connection time may be too tight, etc... It is a good idea to call.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you look to see if the flight numbers or times actually changed? With all the minor adjustments going on in advance of the PSS cutover in a few weeks there have been a lot of them and it might actually be an issue. I just got an email about a schedule change and it was just a couple minutes, but the email clearly highlighted the changes and I did have to accept the changes on co.com. My guess is that if I didn't accept it the reservation would eventually accept them on its own but I see no harm in accepting them if I can confirm that things are how I still want them to be.

4. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there anyway to modify a changed reservation on-line? My award reservation with a partner airline was changed (found out last night when I decided to look at the reservation - no e-mail yet). It says to call reservations. I called this afternoon and waited on the phone for more than an hour (30 minute estimated wait) and finally hung up. The reservation isn't for several months, so I probably should not have called on Monday.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My experience is that the online option is either accept or not, but no additional options. If the proposed change is no good you'll unfortunately have to wait out the hold time to get it resolved.

6. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I will have to call again because the current itinerary does not get me back to my home airport because I reach a connection after the flight I was on previously has already left.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the way out of this, but too bad they put you on hold for so long. On the 1K line response is usually immediate...

8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find with UA that if there is a sched change, and until it is resolved by calling, you can not go into the reservation and change seats etc. I have flights through October and I am sure there will be many minor and perhaps some not so minor changes until the flight schedules are all tweaked. To bring up another point, if you have your UA frequent flyer number on *alliance flights, once UA members get a new frequent flyer number I wonder if that new number will show up in the *alliance flights or will you have to call the particular airline to make sure the new one is there. I have a couple of flights on TG which I will hold off making until the switch even though I do have a CO FF# just to make sure everything goes smoothly.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly right as to changing seats and it's a royal pita if it's what I call a "stealth schedule change" where it is a change of only a few minutes but the itinerary does not show "schedule change" :mad:

sfo1 and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear that! Sometimes I call, and the CSR just says: "thank you for calling in" and that would be it, as the purported "schedule change" might have entailed only a few minutes difference in departure time. But, you must call in to acknowledge or you cannot do anything to your reservation.

If (Big IF) it is done "right", you should not need to do anything. The PNR fields should automatically get populated with the correct FF info, so that when it is accessed from other *A computers, it will be correct. To be on the safe side, however, it would be wise to check the BP before leaving the check in counter...

sfo1 likes this.
  11. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you sent them an online/email message asking them to call you? Then, you could put them on hold! ;)

chrislacey, NYCUA1K and FLYERIL like this.
  12. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wil they actually do this?
    A few months ago I sent Continental an e-mail about a minor issue and they did not respond to the e-mail until at least 2-3 weeks had passed.

13. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find that CO response time to e-mail are less than satisfactory - usually it is at least a week.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There used to be a way while making a reservation to get a pop-up that would initiate an out-call from them to contact you. It is usually pretty quick and near the top of the call queue and much better than calling in. I have no idea if they still do it or not, but I think waiting around for a while on the flight selection or payment screens without either canceling or purchasing used to trigger it.

15. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had pretty good luck in the past with schedule changes. When they called me proactively because I ignored the warning it was from their India call centers (and this was before I was 1K, so YMMV), and I could convince them to give me any new routing I wanted. I've heard of other people getting truly absurd changes for the extra miles.

If I called back later, however, I would sit on hold forever using the number they provided, so I called the elite line instead. Occasionally I'd get complaints about how I was only allowed to rebooked within a certain range of fare buckets from my original booking, but when push came to shove, I always got what I asked for. Sometimes I had to call more than once.

If you don't like what they offer, tell them you want to think about your options and will call back later.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  16. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked at a mixed metal itinerary this morning on the CO site and saw the dreaded message so I called CO but they could see nothing wrong and suggested I call UA to make sure that the reservation is in sync. Did that and UA could see nothing wrong either :confused:

17. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only received that message when they changed an early morning AUS-IAH flight from CO metal to UA metal. But when I went into "manage res" and accepted change everything was fine. I did not call. I was still able to go in and change seat assignments.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got the message:
    So, I did have to call (thankfully 1K desk so there was no hold). There is nowhere to just "accept change" at united.com. Hopefully, that is one of the features that will be inherited from CO because it is definitely more efficient and desirable than having to call in for something that may be trivial. It this case, I had to call because one flight was rescheduled to depart 10 min earlier and another just 3 min earlier. It is not like I was going to cancel the trip because of these minor changes, so why not just offer me a painless way to accept the changes?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  19. xplorion

xplorion Member

Status Points:
    Once you are notified that flight status has changed on the continental site, you will be asked to accept the change on the site.

20. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA called me at home a week ago about a schedule change for a trip next month.
    The connection time at IAD fell below the 45 minute minimum and they re-routed me via ORD.

genemk2 and Flyer1976 like this.