A minor little detail that impressed me

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kansaskeith, Jul 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wrapped up my 90-day status-match challenge on Monday, and while segment 14 was a glorious F-class 787 flight to Houston from Los Angeles, segment 15 was a lowly United Express coach-only Embraer 145 back to Wichita. Of course it had only one FA, who frankly didn't look very impressive to just see him, though as the flight proceeded it was clear he knew what he was doing.

But one detail impressed me. I was way back in exit-row 12, and when he was serving drinks from his cart, he did not have his manifest with him, so there was no "cheat sheet."

When he got to me I asked for a non-alcoholic beverage and no snack box, but then added "for future use, could you please tell me if United Express accepts just cash or just credit cards?" He said credit cards, but then politely questioned why I had asked.

"Because I'm in the process of switching over from American and with them it's cards-only on mainline, but cash-only on Eagle." He immediately nodded and said in the days of the old Continental Express it used to be that way with his company too, but now, no: with the regionals as well as the mainline it's cards-only. He added that if it were his call to make, they'd take both.

But then, he said: "how long has it been since you switched over to United? I noticed you are already 'Gold' with us."

Way back in Row 12, with no manifest to cheat, it really impressed me he had studied it, and remembered it, even down to the third-tier elites.

So, after explaining how the temporary 90-day status match challenge worked -- I told him how impressed I was. "Well, I always try to seek out our best customers. It would be more impressive if I remembered your name, all I can recall is that it is six letters." I told him it was "Murray," and for the rest of the flight he never once failed to use it. And as I walked off into the Wichita Jet Bridge, it was "thanks, Mr. Murray, we'll seeya next time now."

As I say, small point, but boy, I don't recall this ever happening back in an exit row of an Eagle Embraer !

rggale, Tracy T., JoeCortez and 18 others like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    There will be FAs from almost every airline who will go above and beyond, and the same amount will do the opposite. My guess is that the most are right down the middle.

Good for you on your experience....UA is sorely in need of good news.

uggboy and 8MiHi like this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can (and have) raked UA over the coals for their shortcomings. Maybe I am just lucky, but 97% of the time I find that their people are their best asset. The consistency with which I am treated well - even when one knows nothing of my status - is extremely high. I came over from AA to CO, and now UA by default, and AA has their stars, but IME UA has more. It is a big reason that I tolerate some of the other, less impressive performance they exhibit in other areas.

4. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can imagine my surprise when I'm singled out (as a silver) in a mid-cabin middle seat with a simple "Welcome back Mr. Greene". It really goes a long way when they take a couple minutes to actually read the manifest.

I always make it a point to share those positive experiences either through the website, or with @united. As Ken said, the people are the big asset here, and I think they sometimes get overlooked. I always try to make sure that credit gets where it is due.

I'll also say that for all of their issues, some of the regional airlines do a better job than mainline at this. ExpressJet (in my experience) always seemed to be on the top of their game when it came to polite, professional service, and I've been very impressed with Republic (both their US and UA operations).

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:

thanks for sharing your positive experience. it's nice to be reminded why i love this hobby.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I used the united website to do just that last evening.

7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    For such a minor little matter, I'm having way too much fun with this.

Yes, I had sent kudos to United Corporate Care. It took them a while to acknowledge, but reply they did, and I was impressed again. The reply follows, but what really blew me away was the "belated Happy Birthday" part at the end. I certainly never put my birthday in the email, so the only way they possibly could have known was to look at the T.S.A. pax info data in my profile, and actually take the time to read through the emails they get and match them to who their customers are. Wow!

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

I appreciate your patience and offer my apology for a delayed response
    to your message.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us about your recent
    experience. Your letter serves to validate why we are so proud of our
    people. We expect our employees to provide the highest level of service
    tailored to meet the individual needs of each customer. It is
    gratifying to learn that the service you received was recognized and
    appreciated. Your comments have been forwarded to key senior management
    for further review. I know our employees and their supervisors will be
    very pleased to read your kind words.

From everyone at United, we wish you a belated Happy Birthday. As a
    loyal Premier Gold Elite member your business and satisfaction does
    matter to us.

Regards,

Juan Limasa
    Corporate Customer Care

rggale, Misplaced Texan and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've found the mainline service from FAs and jets to be fairly underwhelming on UA. I find AA to be better, but not exceptionally so. On the RJs, I find a wider spread of employee attributes. The bad employees are far worse than the norm and the good employees far better than the norm. I don't see that disparity as much when traveling on jets. I can only attribute that to some regional carriers doing a better job of hiring and training then others.