A Math Nerd’s Quest to Become A Points & Miles Millionaire – Manufactured Spending

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by Prior2Boarding, Sep 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Prior2Boarding

Prior2Boarding New Member

Status Points:
    This is part three of A Math Nerd’s Quest to Become A Points & Miles Millionaire. Introduction An Accounting Exercise Manufactured Spending Status & Perks Why Stop at Miles and Points? Manufactured Spending (MS) is a big part of the points and miles hobby. It’s a collection of techniques where you pretend to spend the money that you don’t have, in order to generate points. The general concept is that you buy cash-equivalent instruments with a reward-earning credit card, and then convert those instruments to cash in order to pay off the credit card balance. I illustrate below the techniques that I have used within the past year: Everything becomes easier to understand with a flow chart… right? Like my other posts, this article is only meant to share my learning experiences. If you are looking for a how-to guide, a quick Google search will land you on dozens of relevant websites within the travel hacking community. In particular, Doctor of Credit and Frequent Miler are two blogs that I follow and provide MS-related updates. Don’t be alarmed if it seems overwhelming, though. MS is quite complicated and can take a while to get used to. If bank accounts and credit cards are already more math than you care to do, you might want to skip the rest of this article. THE BASICS Let’s look at a completely hypothetical example… I go to a local pharmacy and buy two PayPal My Cash cards, loading $500 on each. ... read more
    The post A Math Nerd’s Quest to Become A Points & Miles Millionaire – Manufactured Spending appeared first on Hungry for Points.

The post A Math Nerd’s Quest to Become A Points & Miles Millionaire – Manufactured Spending appeared first on Prior2Boarding.

Continue reading...