*A Lounges with Full UA Club Card

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by mustardketchup, May 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mustardketchup

mustardketchup New Member

Status Points:
    By holding a full UA club card, do I need to be flying the specific *A metal to access the specific *A club? Or by holding any *A boarding pass allows me to access any *A club with my UA club card in hand?

Will transiting allow me to access *A lounges or only on departure or arrival?

eg. transit in NRT on UA boarding pass, could I access ANA lounges? Or flying out of NRT on UA, could I access ANA lounges? Or do I need to be flying specifically ANA to access ANA lounges?

Cali94102 and SuperKirby like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not an expert in UA, but the normal airline lounge membership gives access only to that airline's lounges, sometimes only when flying the airline's alliance. Also, USA lounges don't make much distinction between arrival and departure (or transit) if you can get to the lounge door, but overseas lounges generally are departure (including transit) only and not arrivals lounges unless they are specifically designated as such. Your card should get you into all UA/CO and US lounges, including the business class section of the UA lounge at NRT. It probably does not help with other *A lounges unless they are designated as UA lounges too, meaning jointly operated lounges if there are any. There should be something on the UA website that lists lounges and states access policies.

To access other *A lounges, you normally need *A *Gold status (and an international itinerary for UA/CO and US members) or a premium cabin ticket (including award tickets) on a *A carrier or to be the guest of someone with guest privileges. Transcons on certain routes can have special rules and one must pay attention to the UA definition of international.

Cali94102 likes this.
  3. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    To put it simply, and per MSPeconomist, UA club card is only for use in UA lounges with UA membership. Other airline lounges have specific requirements such as being Star Alliance Gold or flying in premium classes.

Basically all US airlines based members are required to have a separate membership card for lounge access in the airlines' lounges. This rule does not apply to Star Alliance Golds of other airlines.

Cali94102 likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a single data point: at least in FRA, LH does accept UA Club card - it provides you access to the LH business lounges, which are not the same as the *G lounges...at least in FRA.

If you are a *G, just look for any *A lounge with the *G sign and you should be allowed in with just your BP and passport.

5. mustardketchup

Status Points:
    I was pretty certain that I could access *A lounges using the UA Club Card flying on the corresponding *A metal, per *A website. However, I wasn't certain if i could access it flying on a different *A metal I am planning on getting the MPCC that comes with a Full UA Club Card. What i was confused was reading this on this on *A website (3rd bullet pt):

Paid Lounge Membership Customers: Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges2.
    • Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers include: United Airlines Red Carpet Club and United Club, US Airways Club, Air Canada Maple Leaf Club - Worldwide
    • Customer must present a valid eligible paid lounge membership card which displays the Star Alliance Lounge Logo
    • Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
    • Customer is entitled to one guest

2 Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available
    It does not clarify if I must be traveling on the same *A flight to access international lounges. Also the language states "departing from local airport", however I have read that some have success accessing the lounge during transit at international locations.

Thoughts?

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on " Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges" and my experience with LH in FRA, I would say that you do not need to be traveling on the same *A flight, since I was traveling on UA when I was allowed into the LH business lounge in FRA.

The UA Club card seems to be good for accessing business lounges of any *A carrier even when not flying with that carrier...

7. mustardketchup

Status Points:
  8. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like it doesn't matter what metal you fly on, as long as you hold the United Club membership, you can access any *A Lounge in the world (900+).
    With exceptions of: First class lounges or the equivalent (i.e. Senator lounges from LH), contract lounges, and apparently a bunch of SQ KrisFlyer/SilverKris lounges.

Domestically you can bring in two guests, internationally only 1 guest.

Cali94102 likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. UC Club membership is good for all int'l *A lounges as well as business class lounges of most *A members.

10. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does that apply to one day passes too?

Cali94102, ThereseKhu and SuperKirby like this.
  11. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, one-day passes are only good for that airline. If you want to access a UA partnered lounge, that particular airline lounge may or may not have a one-day pass you can purchase.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost.

For lounges other than those operated by US or UA you must be departing the local airport on *A metal for the UA paid membership to get you in. If you were flying out of SIN on BA you would not have access to any of the SQ-operated lounges, for example.

ThereseKhu, 8MiHi and SuperKirby like this.
  13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Confirming the points made above these are right from the UA website:

Customers ticketed with other Star Alliance® carriers should consult the policy from each member airline or the Star Alliance lounge policy regarding lounge access.

United Club members have access to United Club locations and select partner lounges. Access privileges and credentials vary by club type. Refer to the chart below for more details.
    • United Club card
    • Boarding pass for same-day travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the airport in which the lounge is located

SuperKirby likes this.