A look at the iPad flight bag

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by autolycus, Mar 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gadling's Cockpit Chronicles posted an article with some information about AA's implementation of an electronic flight bag using an iPad. I thought some here would find it interesting. Technology is moving aviation forward in a lot of ways. Well beyond just the glaringly obvious improvements that passengers see.

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting.

What the video did not mention is updates. Every 28 days updates to charts arrived, requiring opening those huge binders and inserting each changed chart while removing the obsolete one. Tedious job, taking a couple hours or more at times of high change activity. Mistakes happen (I flew a discontinued approach once :eek:). Then the weight, that he mentioned. When flying a long trip the binders +manuals could weight even more than he mentioned. This is a huge improvement in efficiency. When considering long-haul routes the weight savings could be worth another passenger.

3. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought he mentioned somewhere about updates, but maybe I'm wrong. Though I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. Updates can be done over WiFi or plugging it into a computer. I do think it was funny they had to get FAA certification for the mount when the books which weigh much more can fly anywhere (no pun intended).

autolycus likes this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had read about that one before and have laughed both times I have read it. I seem to remember some other silly environmental test that the iPad had to go through that was equally applicable to traditional bags that had never been so tested. Can't remember what the test was. Might have been related to fire or moisture.

thesterlingtraveler likes this.
  5. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it also had to go through a test for sudden decompression.Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

autolycus likes this.
  6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, because I don't think paper really has any issues with sudden decompression. It was something that paper was just as vulnerable to as an iPad.

thesterlingtraveler likes this.