A look at a different forum platform- good ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Jan 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Most of us are familiar with vBulletin and Xenforo, but there are other platforms. Here is an intro video for a forum that is transitioning today to a platform called Huddler. It incorporates a number of things we have on our wishlist here, and has some good organization tools. For example, I like how "stickies" are displayed at 3:54 in the vido, very compact and clean. At 5:22 is a nice scroll bar to find specific pages in long threads (instead of only seeing a couple pages before and after the page you are on, the way it works here).
    6:34 gives a comment about the fact that users have space where they can save images in an album; those can be used for developing your own personal page ("member page") on the site, or to keep a folder of pix that you may want to post again. That system also has a functioning ignore feature (not mentioned in the video).

There are things I prefer here- we used wikis instead of learning centers, and we have some wonderful features and navigation tools, but if XenForo incoroporates ideas from Huddler it can become much better.

dmel, Chimpy, Concerto and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I like the ignore and the scroll features.

I wonder what Xenforo has that this doesnt?

Gargoyle and Chimpy like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Alerts, chatrooms, chat, conversations, and the up arrow in the bottom menu bar to shoot you to the top of the page.

Tenmoc likes this.
  4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice. I never knew about the up arrow here. Thanks.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    best feature on the site. btw, all the way to the left on that bar, to the left of "chatrooms" is a little blue basketball button that take you to the forum home page.

6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I like the idea of member page where I can post and save info and provide updates.

Gargoyle and Tenmoc like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Another training video from that site- users can have unlimited albums for their photos and uploads, so it isn't necessary to use photo hosting sites.

(note they allowed one album on the old software/board platform, and they migrated that over to the new platform)

Tenmoc and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice future.

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Here's another little feature from that platform that I really like. Any way XenForo could add this so we have it here? (it's different from the link we have from our profile).

Clicking the "I've Posted" link gives a page showing threads in which you've posted, and you can see which ones have new posts since yours. It's a really easy way to track all the active discussions in which you are participating; a big and efficient time saver.

The "unanswered" is also nice- as a guide, I like to spot threads that no one has answered, to make sure the OP doesn't get ignored, but that isn't so easy on MP. With the "unanswered" link you can see them all laid out.

I_ve_Posted_menu.jpg