A little newbie advice on our first time flying out of coach!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by traveler, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little newbie advice on our first time flying out of coach! I know business class is a yawn for many of you but we are excited to be flying business class on a Lufthansa 747 to Rome via Frankfurt. Coming home we fly from Madrid via Frankfurt. On our transatlantic flights we are currently assigned seats 1A & 1C. We have about a 2 hour connection at LAX. and Frankfurt. Do we get lounge access with business class tickets? Any lounge suggestions or transiting advice? Remember we are used to flying steerage. Many, many, many thanks to Milepoint, Flyertalk, and Ingy for making these awards tickets possible!

Jubileesmom, tondoleo, Mikel and 5 others like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Congratulations on flying business class.
    In Frankfurt you should have access to any of the Lufthansa Business lounges. In Madrid, you will have access to the Spanair Lounge. At LAX there is the Star Alliance lounge in the Bradley terminal.

For more information on Lufthansa lounges and access you can see the Lufthansa web page:

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/At-the-airport-overview

In Frankfurt make sure you go to one of the lounges near your DEPARTING gate. FRA is a very large airport and it can take a long time to get from one gate / terminal to another.

In LAX you say you have a 2 hour connection. I assume you are arriving on LH and departing on another airline? If so, you will need to change terminals and go through security. This will take time and probably preclude you from using the lounge.

8MiHi, Mikel, alohastephen and 3 others like this.
  3. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your first business class flight from another back-of-the-plane traveler! Post again when you return on how it went and what the best "perks" were since you'll have a very new perspective on it.

Mikel, traveler and alohastephen like this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, definitely! I'm particularly interested in the experience of Row 1 on the 747 as I have that booked and am wondering how it is compared to other Biz seats.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be sure to bring a cell phone to the lounges and talk very loudly about upcoming meetings and how important your deals are. That seems to be what the natives do.

* Note: I've only been in domestic US lounges.

davef139, daninstl, patricke and 7 others like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    On some airplanes, depending partly on whether there is a big closet, the first row of a 747 main deck can be especially fun because, due to the curvature of the fuselage, your window looks somewhat more forward than to the side.

If you are USA citizens and have the time to get your credentials, you might want to apply for a Global Entry card, which is also a trusted traveler number for the new TSA system. It's $100 for five years, but the regular AmEx Plat charge card credits the fee as do some airline FF programs for their elites IIRC. Even if it saves you an hour of waiting in line, it can be worth it.

I assume you have a passport and if not USA citizen, have checked on visa and health requirements.

Mikel likes this.
  7. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not going until May 12th -When is your flight?

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Later in the summer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

9. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I let you know but this will be our first time flying business class.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This should be the rule of thumb regardless of airport. Ask for the lounge that is closest to your departing gate.

traveler likes this.
  11. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations and enjoy your first Business Class flight! Nothing beats the experience of flying In the nose of the 747, although I prefer row 4 myself on LH 747.

traveler and Mikel like this.
  12. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    My experience on 747 1st Class seating [UA and China AL] is that the window seats have more room and storage around them than the interior seats. Check a seat map or ask ticket agent regarding your flight equipment.

13. Hattie105

Hattie105 Member

Status Points:
    Be sure to take your credit card. I left mine at home by mistake and unless they can swipe a card, nothing can be done about it. I was sick to my stomach.

14. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wait until you have to go back to steerage on your next flight.....

webdes03 likes this.
  15. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    yea, have suffered in steerage ever since! But we do have a trans Atlantic in biz next May.My last flight leg was supposed to be less than 2 hours and only took 5 hours ;( made an 8 hour flight 11+ hours. Not looking forward to the return.

16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no difference just ask anyone who has never set in J or FC, and yes the lounges makes a big difference.

It only cost a few more miles to go to the front of the aircraft...

mre5765 and gaijin62 like this.
  17. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A pity you are seated to the left of the door. One of the true pleasures of sitting in premium cabin is watching the coach pax stare at you in envy as they walk by. Indeed, years ago when my family of four flew in first class to LHR from DEN, UA boarded the entire 777 from the front door, and my daughter had a blast motioning with her thumb to direct the coach and business class pax to rear of the plane while luxuriating in her window suite.

Seriously though, FRA is not good airport to transit in; it can be very confusing the first time.

When you arrive in FRA from the USA you will want to get a shower at the business class lounge. Before you depart, study the terminal map, and note where your flights have been arriving and departing. The less time you waste trying to find your next gate, the more time you will have in the lounge. I've been through FRA dozens of times and I refuse to connect in under three hours. Two hours is doable, but it will feel rushed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    traveler likes this.
  18. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:

Thanks for the reply BUT the post was 2 years ago!!

Gargoyle likes this.