A little love for US

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sean Colahan, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just want to say that US needs a little more love from us flyers out there. Granted there are times when we all curse the day we chose to fly US (some more than others) but from what I read, every airline out there from ANA to WestJet has its bad days that totally upset off the customer. So with that behind us, I would like everyone to leave a post saying why they love to fly US. Here is one of my many reasons why I love to fly US.:)

UPGRADES!!! Even as a Silver last year, I was probably upgraded 70% of the time. Some of those flight were transcons and some were with my wife when we were both upgraded. (I have a brother who is UA 1K and finally got his first upgrade with his wife.)

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting this.

Having grown up in Pittsburgh/Philadelphia and then going to college in North Carolina, I've always lived where US is pretty dominant, so I've always been comfortable choosing them when I travel. Last year, I started a job requiring a bunch of travel, and in the past 10 months or so, I've flown just over 100K miles and 70-ish segments on US. I have not had a single misconnect, a single flight cancelled due to mechanical issues, or any other problems to speak of. I've found US to be reliable, on time, and most of the employees to be helpful and friendly.

I think they as a company need to do more to promote their improvements in on-time arrivals, low number of baggage complaints, etc, because I'm not sure the general perception of the airline matches what I've found to be the reality, and I would love to see that change.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades as well here. As a Silver last year I only missed 2 and both of those happened when I did SDC for FREE!

I've also been very lucky with irrops. I had none in 2010. No cancels and on time.

My flight on Monday was an exception. Sat on the plane at the gate for 2 hours trying to get the lavs fix.

4. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades are definitely a plus. I had great success as a Silver the last 2 years. I cleared 80%+ both years. Now as a Gold, I haven’t missed once. Not sure if it is my flights or lack of elites.

Off-peak saver awards to Europe are amazing too. You can’t beat 35,000 miles coach or 60,000 first class to Europe. 5,000 less if you use their credit card.

5. ACPanda
    Original Member

ACPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    I've haven't flown US too often, maybe once or twice a year the past couple of years, but I have been pleasantly surprised. The service was decent and the flights were on-time or early.

6. timboy219
    Original Member

timboy219 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to be loyal to US, but lost interest after the HP merger and sought out other options. Since then, i've still flown them occasionally, but every segment was to/from PHL (where i'm from, and still visit fairly often) - which greatly turned me off even more. The surly PHL employees and state of the domestic terminals just didn't match up to other options. Last week, I flew via CLT for the first time since the merger, and the entire experience was very pleasant. So much that I might reconsider switching primarily back to US if I could route via CLT every time.

Can't speak for PHX, considering i've never been there.

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The issue that many frequent fliers have with US is the condition of their product. While US does run a very good operation, so much of their domestic product is ancient. I mean when you can make United and AA look advanced with the inflight domestic hard product, that is saying something.

PHX is a nice operation, on par with CLT (at least it was the one time I connected there a few years ago).

8. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the flip side, I've been on a few internationals recently that were nice, clean, and with good service (332s w/Envoy Suites - although I was in coach on my last flight and it was actually a really nice flight). So there are definitely some hits in the mix, but you're spot on about the majority of the domestic product.

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And unfortunately that is the basis that many frequent fliers choose their airline on. I know I have only experienced an internationally configured aircraft once in my flying pattern, and that was an AC flight from YUL to YYZ. Though I will say the US A321s are quite nice

Sean Colahan likes this.
  10. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, and I've been doing what many others have been doing -- using US miles on *A partner flights and not on US metal, especially domestic. The exception of course -- their great off-peak EU awards (hence the recent travels)

11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the one feature of the US program that I wish United would match

12. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh man, wouldn't that be sweet [​IMG]

13. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think US has improved significantly over the past couple of years, but they lag in a couple of important metrics--of which product is just one. I did note, though that they are investing in product, but they need to go further than they are planning-need IFE and power ports back fleet wide to remain competitive for example.

They also need to stop the drive to the bottom in relation to fees. They have a number of fees which the competition does NOT have, and while they lead the way, they do NOT exempt high level elites from certain fees, which is driving many high spenders away. The nickel and diming must stop or the exodus will continue.

Part of a long term solution would be to start listening to customers. We had conducted a survey on our site, and offered them free market research--and the offer is still open- Fern are you listening?

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  14. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree on needing the IFE.
    What fees do they have that others dont? Fly US all the time as silver/gold and haven't had to pay any fee for different services that non-elites must pay.
    [​IMG]

15. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Defiantly think US needs more promotion and marketing. I never see any advertising on TV, print, or billboard/signage to say "come fly us".

16. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What other fees are high level elites not exempt from (I'm platinum and you've got me curious!)...I know the choice seats, which I think is absurd...but are there others? Thanks!

17. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a thread on this board that US has implemented a $25/$35 (phone/airport) fee to proactively change your flight during a weather waiver if not done online. Supposedly Chairman's Preferred's are exempt from this fee, but all other Preferred's are not. This is still somewhat of an unsubstantiated rumor, as I believe it quietly went into effect last week.

18. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is the love thread I think it's a great opportunity to point new users to when they come on the board and ask the benefits of joining DM vs. X airline.

Maybe we can put other side of the equation on the US - DM opportunites thread?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  19. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a great idea Kellio and I like your phrasing "dm opportunities" rather than "dm faults". In the spirit of MilePoint I thought it best to focus on the positive majority of things, rather than the few negative thorns.

kellio likes this.
  20. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Sean. Opportunties = corporate speak [​IMG] I write too many reviews.

21. I have to disagree with you on IFE, I don't see the need to bring it back on domestic flights at all. With the proliferation of personal entertainment devices such as iPads, Kindles, iPods, etc. I really don't see the payback being there to install IFE. I've flown a couple CO segments on the 739 with Directv recently and only a handful of people seem to be utilizing the service. I think the current US model of longhaul aircraft only for IFE is adequate. I certainly don't think this is a deciding factor for enough of the flying population to justify the expense.

I agree with you about the power ports however. Give me power and wifi on the 320's and I'd be pretty happy.

cvarming and Sean Colahan like this.
  22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    US only makes money because of auxiliary revenue, Doug Parker said so himself at SMD II in Phoenix. IFE like Continental has is a money machine and could be a great source of income for US.

I agree that internet and power makes ME happy.

But most people that aren't frequent travelers don't use most devices and if they do, they are useless without power. Many people use IFE on JetBlue, Frontier and Continental, it's a very popular product, especially on longer flights.

If all other airlines offer Live TV and more, US has to follow to keep up.

23. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well they are starting to put GoGo in a few 321's...better than nothing, but they have a long way to go.

24. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown US Airways quite a bit (well for the average non Frequent flyer) last year (40 segments, about 55K miles but got credited for 100K+) since I live in AZ (Scottsdale) and I had very few issues with them. I had a couple of excellent experiences with FAs and sent in emails commending them. I was pretty lucky with minimum delays and no cancellations.

My biggest issues are the condition of some of the aircrafts (757-200 was in poor shape and only 8 seats in first) and the whole Philly experience (except for the international terminal and envoy lounge). While I would love to have directv I can survive with my iphone for entertainment. The Envoy experience of the non 332s isn't anything to write home about either.

This year it just seems like their airfares are higher than competitors (at least from PHX).

25. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting you say that Rich regarding fares, because here in the east, they are in the middle of the pack with fares, if not slightly lower (which is not an accurate measure since they have more fees than anyone else... You might see them competing more with WN out there, which would probably result in them being higher more often than they are out here.