A little credit card help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by michael21, May 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey...Can you guys list a few cards that have "cash back" or "pay yourself back" as redemption options at a rate of 1 cent...For example, the card that I am aware of is/are the Sapphires and Inks so 50,000 points CAN be worth $500 in cash back (we can argue that isn't a good redemption...)

Thanks

2. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    bump-aroonie

3. efoss3
    Original Member

efoss3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want cash back for travel, Barclay's Arrival is good. The Capital One Venture card gives some cash back initially and then has a way to erase travel expenses. This link is good for travel credit cards: http://www.frugaltravelguy.com.

4. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on what you want to use your points for. If you want to use your points for travel, then earning points generally give you a better return than most cash back.

That being said, if you can take advantage of some of the credit cards with 5% cash back on specific spend categories, you can earn a very good return. I would say, if you have lots of spending, then use a combination of credit cards to maximize the return on the different types of spending.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    The Discover It(R) card is highly rated as a cash back CC: 5% cash back in categories that change offered to all cardmembers up to the quarterly maximum when you sign up. There is a comparison to other cash-back CCs at the link provided.

MX likes this.
  6. alanro

alanro Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found the Chase Freedom card to be very useful. One of their 5% cash back categories is gasoline, usually for two quarters in each calendar year. I guess their categories fit well with a lot of my regular spending patterns; I usually get more than $300 per year cash back on less than $10,000 in spend.