A little bit OT: The Apple IPAD phenomenon

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It happened again today.
    Actually, it happens almost every day.
    In a meeting.
    Scheduling a trip.
    And there always has to be one guy- or one woman- usually good looking AND very wealthy- and they say "Hang On a moment- let me get out my IPAD...."

This is followed by a moment of rustling around the boardroom table.

More Ipads are out.

US- the have nots- play with a Mont Blanc pen- the Ipadders are snickering- building to the great crescendo- you know the one that starts:

"IF you had an IPAD you could......" followed by the explanation of some mindblowing technical and graphic extravaganza linked to realtime databases worldwide backedup in a 256 bit secured cloud which replaces obsolete technologies like a pen, paper, etc. Timezones are synched seamlessly. Discussions on new cases from Louis Vuitton are of far more intense interest than a balance sheet or income statement.

And US- the have nots- we have written the meeting in our agenda- some of the real have nots are so old school that they had to PHONE their P.A. (more snickering around the room- particularly if someone can not conifrm right away or doesn't get a good mobile signal).

And there it is- a small rant- am I the only one in this position? What is wrong with my blackberry? It was really cool back in 1999. Why have I not yet thrown away my laptop, cancelled my mobile phone subscription, and be free to play with applications and an integrated keyboard in a case? Where did I go wrong?

doc, ScottC, davidavid237 and 2 others like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never had nor never will have a crackberry. Do not have an iPad at this point-in-time, but i will be lining up for the next gen iPad ... guaranteed! Move on or move out ... RIM is losing touch with reality and is playing a catchup game they will not win ;) Come over to the dark side TravelSig ... come over to the dark side! ;)

BamaGirl and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have an iPad....love it....do I use it at all for work? Nope. Then again, I also do not lug around a laptop either....

4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally do not purchase any Apple products, so will never own an Ipad.

Would I someday own a non-Apple variant? (one of the upcoming Android-based units, perhaps)? Maybe - the thing that would cause me to hesitate is that I am well-served by a combination of laptop and smartphone. I understand that many consider pad/tablet devices as replacements for laptops, but I am not one of those. So, unless my company provided me with one (unlikely), I don't see myself acquiring one for personal use.

I may get a Kindle or Nook soon, but am hesitating as I notice that many books I want aren't available in either e-format (yet).

As for the aspect of "tools" showing off, thinking that they look "cool" and "with-it" by ostentatiously brandishing and using an Ipad in a showoff-ish "look at me" manner, I don't blame the Ipad. A tool is as a tool does, after all, and if it isn't this specific device, they'll find something else to empower their inner tool ;)

5. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have an iPad and use it for work, but never flaunt it. I usually sit in the back in meetings so I can surf MilePoint. [​IMG]

bonnerbl, Randy Petersen and vbroucek like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for calling me good-looking and wealthy :)

flying-gal likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The adjective is "usually", however based on your avatar :)

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use my iPad everywhere, and my Kindle too. I cannot be bothered with a political view of computers. If they work well I like them, if they don't I don't. So I do have a couple of Apples. I just came back from a three week business trip with only my iPad and Kindle. The freedom was exhilarating.

I also have two MontBlanc devices. I'll sell them to you cheaply. One is lac du chine the other gold. They were gifts so I do not throw them away.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  9. eastbay

eastbay Active Member

Status Points:
    FYI: If your interested in the NOOK Color, they can be converted to a pure Andriod OS. So for $249, you could have Android Tablet.[​IMG]

10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't ever count a company out. They could falter and die or they could rise like a phoenix. Look at Motorola - after riding that RAZR phone wave for years, Motorola's mobile unit nearly went under. Today, now two separate companies, Motorola's top of the line Android phones compete with HTC's Android devices and they've got the first Honeycomb tablet.

Back on topic in this slightly off topic thread: Whatever works for you is fine. The covet-thy-neighbor's-tech and mocking those who use something older than 11 months mentality is just ridiculous. I was a Crackberry addict until recently but wanted better app availability - and any BB QNX upgrade is so far off in the distance I could no longer wait. So I have an Android device. But no one comes close to matching BlackBerry's BES/BIS instant push notifications. Hands down that feature alone keeps BB on the radar for many, especially business.

I will never, ever buy an Apple mobile device as long as the battery is not readily removable. I always have two batteries and/or replace with aftermarket extended life batteries (Seidio makes excellent batteries in the OEM form factor but with more juice). Of course I won't buy a Motorola Xoom anytime soon either: MicroSD slot is not activated, no Flash support for now and it requires mailing the thing in to upgrade its radio to 4G LTE. I don't support the "Pay way too much today ($800 full price) and get your features later when there are better devices" business model.

11. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went over the tablet offerings at this year's CES and I decided to wait. Sure Apple's iPad is out there, but I want to see how they respond to pressure from the Android, WebOS, and RIMM offerings. I think it will only get better. Perhaps 3rd gen iPad will start showing more power and promise. Of course, I also have a few issues with Apple's closed-source systems.

12. I bought an Advent Vega in December. Aside from the iPad, it's the best specced tablet on the UK market for the least money. There are a few variants of the same tablet sold in other countries under a different name. In the US is it known as the Viewsonic G and once customised via XDA it can put most tablets retailing at double the RRP to shame. It has certainly replaced my iPhone for mobile entertainment.

For Any UK members, more info here and here.

13. I don't know why, but I've never been an Apple fan myself. I absolutely can't stand iTunes. I do own an iPod but that's about it. I have an Android phone which I like, but it seems like Apple might have the tablet market covered, for now, like they did with the iPod for so long. In all honesty, I don't even know the name of another MP3 player other than Zune, which I'm not sure if that's still around (I had one years ago...decent, but not as good as the iPod).

I'm actually considering getting an iPad...and have even thought about getting a Macbook (my first non-Thinkpad notebook in 10 years!). I'm still hesitant to go to the dark side though.

14. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's all about point of view. I think of anything Microsoft as the dark side. [​IMG]

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

I have pretty much switched from Windows to MacOS and Linux over the course of the last two years, just as Microsoft has become the underdog, Bill Gates a saint, and Apple a more and more disliked control freak for many developers.

I do like their products, but iTunes is terrible.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new Macbook pro does look very tempting.

diver90 likes this.
  17. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "old" Macbook Pro is pretty sweet. I bought one earlier this year and got $100 back from Apple as they introduced the new ones shortly thereafter. No regrets.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree- probably for a boring user like myself I wouldn't even notice the difference between the two. The design of the Macbook Pro is still beautiful.

19. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So many people detest iTunes. Can you elaborate?

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I find iTunes fairly unintuitive. It looks like a program that's been around for ten years and has had features added everywhere without a clean redesign every so often. Also would like to be able to sync wirelessly -- my Palm Treo could do that seven or eight years ago (via Bluetooth).

In general, as someone smarter than me recently tweeted, it's rather strange/silly that the iPad that Apple calls the "post-PC" device cannot even be used without first connecting it to a PC (or Mac) with iTunes.

21. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could sync your info wirelessly with MobileMe. I've heard it's undergoing some changes and the rumor is that it'll be free. That would still mean synching music with the cord.

As for connecting your iPad to your computer the first time, isn't it really about hooking you into an iTunes store account? Can you even buy music and apps on the iPad without setting up an account on your computer first? Apple's crafty that way.....

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't even sync any data with MobileMe or my laptop via iTunes, other than my apps and media. Calendar/contacts is Google (sync'ed wirelessly), email is all pop/imap/Google. I am syncing my passwords/confidential data wirelessly with SplashID on my laptop.

And why can't that be done on the iPad itself?

23. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. Can it? I've had an iTunes account since iPod v.1. But don't you agree that it's a great way to lure you into the iTunes store? And you have to plug into the computer anyway if you want to upgrade the OS.

Regarding the sync thing, if you're doing it wirelessly already with Google, why do you even care that iTunes doesn't offer wireless synching? Just asking.

24. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bloated, takes up way too may resources on Windows. Can't deal with large collections of media, limited format support, lousy UI.

Really, for a company that made the brilliant iPhone OS UI, they clearly forgot about iTunes years ago.

25. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do believe and remember all devices need to be registered / activated via iTunes.