A layover in Lagos Airport (LOS)...anyone with experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cmj542, Jul 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone traveled through Lagos airport? I booked my award flight SNA-IAH-LOS-JNB and return the same way without really paying attention to layover airports....and now that I've researched the Lagos airport, I'm really nervous about the flight. I have a 9 hour layover on the way there in the Lagos airport and a 3 hour one on the way back. I've read all sorts of trip reports (granted, a bit out of date) about having to bribe officials to go through checkin, thefts at the airport, etc. I know there's a lounge I plan to try to get into, but my LOS-JNB leg is in economy, so I don't know if I actually will be able to get into the lounge.

I got it for 120,000 miles roundtrip in biz (which was amazing), but now that I read about how sketchy it is, I'm thinking about trying for a reroute through London or something....although with the mileage costs, I'd probably be in coach at best. What do y'all think? Worth paying 160,000 miles to fly in coach instead, but at the same time, feeling a lot safer (female, solo traveler here)? Am I being too paranoid?

2. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have flown thru some pretty crumby third world airports without problems. Since you are transiting you will not have to go though immigration or customs, and may not even have to go through security. But buy access to the lounge in advance or get priority pass (free with amex platinum) or lounge club (two entries free with chase ink bold) - gains entry to 2 lounges at lagos, and be guaranteed you have access to a lounge.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Priority Pass lists seven lounges in LOS, mostly located in the E International terminal (not the one used by Air Nigeria). I would guess from the name that Skyway Premium might sell day passes as well.

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard that LOS is a pretty bad airport.

Not sure if this is a issue, however, I have been looking into planning a trip to JNB for business potentially in the fall.

When I was looking at routing, one flight I was considering was IAD-JNB with a stop-over in DKR.

The US State dept. warns that JNB immigration officials may require Yellow Fever immunization card, even for just staying over (on the same plane) if that plane stops over in a location where they consider to have Yellow Fever.

I think "LOS" is one of those places though I may be wrong.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1008.html#entry_requirements

Nigeria is listed as one of the countries that has Yellow Fever, so JNB immigration may possibly require a yellow fever card (i.e. that you got the yellow fever immunization).

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...s-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever.htm

5. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I definitely have my yellow fever immunization ready to go. Apparently without it, South Africa puts you in quarantine for at least 6 days.

I managed to find a return flight a day later that routes through London. At least this way I am only in Lagos once on the way there! Fingers crossed something else opens up soon.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, it's your outbound trip that has the long layover in LOS, right? That's the more important one to avoid IMO or at least try to shorten a bit.

BTW there have been stories of travelers on direct flights contracting malaria during a stop when they didn't leave the plane but apparently a mosquito entered.

7. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is absolutely terrifying. I'll be on anti-malarials for my Kruger Park safari so fingers crossed I'll be okay. I'm definitely checking daily to see what will open up. I might even resort to paying more miles to be in coach for the 30+ hour trip

desamo likes this.
  8. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI, on the IAD-JNB flight, you don't leave the plane in DKR. I've had a few colleagues take that flight, and I believe you are grounded for an hour or two, and they enter the plane to spray for mosquitoes and/or other pests. There have also been several instances where security searches everyone's carry-on luggage, and I believe that some people were removed from the flight last time my colleague took that route. None of the folks I know have had any issues aside from the inconvenience of getting out and re-stowing carry-ons. They also have not been asked for yellow fever cards upon arrival.

I don't have any experience with LOS for the OP, unfortunately.

desamo likes this.
  9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I go out to JNB in the fall I'm going to probably go LH instead via FRA (plus out of FRA, LH has a A380 on that route which I haven't yet flown :) )

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was considering the IAH-LOS-DOH-JNB option but it's a bit tight in LOS.

11. cliq

cliq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting post here, LOS isn't all that bad if you are not a local flying out or in. As long as you have your yellow fever card, you should be alright. You are only transiting and as many other said here earlier, try to get yourself lounge access so as to stay away from the main event :D

Most of the stuff you'll read on the internet about countries in Africa wont even want to make you pass through or visit there :D