A Lawsuit Could Reveal If Passenger Bags Get Bumped for Airline Cargo

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jul 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-09/a-lawsuit-could-reveal-if-passenger-bags-get-bumped-for-airline-cargo#r=

[​IMG]

A lawsuit against United Airlines (UAL) contends the carrier will leave passenger bags behind to make space for cargo shipments when a plane is too heavy.

Gina Spadoni, the plaintiff in the suit, took a United flight from Chicago to Los Angeles in September and paid $25 to check her luggage—yet the bag did not make her same flight. That represents a breach of the carrier’s contract of carriage, according to the lawsuit filed last week.
    Her attorney, Tom Zimmerman, said she was forced to purchase new clothes for an event she was attending in California. “It was really an inconvenience and a stressful time for her.” Zimmerman said a United baggage handler and flight attendant confirmed to him that the practice is widespread.

Read More: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-09/a-lawsuit-could-reveal-if-passenger-bags-get-bumped-for-airline-cargo#r=

2. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would hope that UA bumps bags of flyers without status. ;)

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    An interesting lawsuit, now that we live in a time of airline baggage fees. I suspect that this lawsuit might not have occurred if there weren't a baggage fee involved. Now who would think that UA would leave behind a paying passenger's luggage for a cargo shipment? :rolleyes:

MX likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't Alaska pay passengers automatic compensation if they don't deliver a checked bag to the belt within X minutes of arrival? And UA gets to keep the bag fee when they bump the bags off the plane and they think that's okay?

MX and Newscience like this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would hope you realize that there's a lot more pax without any status then those who attain it, who still fly nowadays and also help to keep the airlines afloat as they actually pay for the privilege of flying, and not just way back in Y, rather then getting their higher cost seats comped because of eliteness. Your comment, should it happen, would cost the airlines just as many dollars to later deliver those bags, in addition to refunding the costs of replacing some clothing and articles needed quickly by some of those non-status pax who bother to make a claim for the replacements. :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume UA bumps whatever bags are easily accessible. Given how unreliable the priority tags are, I doubt they are using those to select bump worthy bags.

7. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only had one delayed bag on an AS flight and it was sent to MSP instead of PHL. D'oh. The bag was promptly delivered the following day to my hotel and they were very insistent that if I needed to buy anything in the meantime to provide receipts and I would be reimbursed. They also gave a $25 voucher for future travel for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately, it was late evening on a Sunday and my hotel was downtown Wilmington, DE... where everything closes at 5pm on weekdays and probably doesn't even bother opening on weekends. Not only could I not obtain basic toiletries other than what the hotel provided, I was forced to go to my first day of Amtrak Chef certification in the clothes I had traveled in.

Either way, no hard feelings towards the airline for that... it wasn't their fault I was unable to buy clothes. Their policy seemed perfectly fair and the agent on the phone was very apologetic and assured me repeatedly that any expenses I incurred Alaska would cover. It surprises me that UA doesn't have a similar policy in place.

Slightly OT but I ended up writing a compliment letter in about the agent on the phone because of her compassion and efficiency.