A hypothetical question re BA pre-avios for the old timers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by corz123, Apr 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys I have a question for those of you who've been around for a while. Back in the day (2010) before I discovered this website and community I was really new to what we do here and didn't know how to get any miles so I was very conservative with mine. I had a booked a IST --> NYC flight through LHR using pre-avios BA miles for 32500 miles + $198. After flying arounding in business and first for the past year or so I really don't miss economy. Does anyone know if I would have been able to have booked the same flight w/ BA in business or F? If so, how many points would it have been and would it have been hard to find award space back then?

Just some musing from one of the new guys :p

2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did fly BA First years back and the story is interesting. First time I did it, First with BA was 150,000 miles per person from NY to Paris. Discovered that if I transferred miles to Cathay Pacific instead of BA (using the Starwood AMEX and my Starwood points), those very same seats only cost 90,000 miles! Transfer took over 3 weeks to complete and fortunately the seats were still there. With the Starwood transfer bonus, I only had to transfer 145,000 points to get the 180,000 miles I needed.

Alas, Cathay changed their award schedule (who hasn't!). Not sure what Istanbul would have cost - more Cathay miles (mileage based system) but BA would probably have been the same - 100,000 RT Business and 150,000 First.

iolaire likes this.
  3. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    dammit that means it would have been 50k for biz and 75k for first. I should have done it. Can you tell me about BA first? what's it like ?

4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cutting to the chase, we're flying it again next month! I've been very fortunate to have some amazing experiences having traveled international First on BA, Swiss, Lufthansa, United and Cathay Pacific. Next month will be our 5th time on BA First. If you listen to the bloggers, they can be very critical about which seat is better, which is more private, how's the food, are the flight attendants friendly enough? Attentive enough? Is BA's Concorde Room (FC Lounge) slipping.

I get that they feel they need to do this but to me, I'm always a pig in slop! Most of the airlines were points and chump change. BA is points and more serious money but I always look at it as if we had purchased Coach tickets but get to fly First Class. All I can say is if you can do it, go ahead. You'll have a blast and will not be disappointed. And in case I haven't made it clear, paying for Business Class would be a stretch for me so First is totally out of the question!