A hotel with Bruce Springsteen

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by gallivant, Nov 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an ex-jersey girl, I am going to see the boss in Portland in 2 wks and would like to book the Crown Plaza for a one night stand. I only have 7000 priority points. Any suggestions on the best way to use points to help make this work? I do have MR and UR points.

2. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    With a rate of $137.58 all in available, I honestly think that you'd be better off paying cash and earning the points offered with a stacked promo than burning a minimum of 8,000 MR or UR points, which are much more valuable (at least to me) than Priority Club points, because you'd burn those 8,000 points and then still have to pay $70. If you conservatively value MR or UR points at $.01 each, you'd pay $178 ($150 if it being $70 cash and $80 worth of UR points) + the $28 value of the existing 7,000 PC points) using points and cash when the cash only rate is $137.58. Burning 18,000 MR or UR points for one night with a $137 value just isn't a winning proposal.

I don't believe you can do the points+cash trick to purchase the points cheaper if you don't even have the base # of points necessary to make the reservation. Someone else feel free to check my math. Even so, that might not even be more valuable than the going cash rate.

gallivant likes this.
  3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was I the only one that thought this thread was going to be about spending a night at a hotel with Bruce Springsteen, and if so, how to maximize points earning? :D

4. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:

5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, my sarcasm meter was on overload - I was going to only reply and say "Stack your PC promos, pay cash via your PC Visa, and get Bruce to pay you back for it." but thought the better of it.

wrxmom likes this.
  6. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    After further checking I found out MR don't transfer to priority club anymore and you are right its not worth it to use UR. Both those are too valuable to me too. Points and cash don't make sense either. I think your math is right. Thanks for the supporting info. Where did you find the 137.58 all in rate?

7. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jersey humor and a girl can dream can't she? Does it count that Bruce lives in a house down the street from where I grew up. I was just caught there during frankensandy. The crown plaza is the only hotel near the arena with airport transportation for my late one night arrival. PDX is about 16 miles from downtown.

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just found it on the PC website as advance purchase rate of $120 something. Add T&F and it came out to $137.58. If you're really not all that concerned about PC points, maybe a 3rd party would have it cheaper. You can even go through Mr. rebates right now and get 15% cash back on PC bookings (I have used for PC bookings before), or 20% on Top Cash Back (although I haven't heard great things about them and haven't used them personally) if you do book directly with the hotel.

9. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    With MR being a viable option, I almost think that I'd rather pay for this option in cash through the American Express website, and collect the 2X points for buying it through their portal. That way, you could either transfer or recoup costs on the other side for a future trip or some other expense. I know that doesn't quite help you now...but it might in the future?