A half-year United Continental Holdings would like to forget

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sedosi, Aug 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The numbers are ugly....

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/08/united-airlines-receives-most-consumer.html

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    No real surprises here. UA has been abysmal this year, Plenty of goofs and gaffs.
    Some of it merger pains that need to be worked out, others poor decisions like the new 'deli thin sliced' blankets. :(

stephenbgarvan and adambadam like this.
  3. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    1740 complaints? I'm wondering how many of them came after March.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The majority, I'd think.

I am wondering how many of the complaints are from people who have FT or MP accounts, and how that percentage changed since last year.

The July numbers should have a pretty spike after the 4-mile-award event. I wonder if the number of those would be material enough for the DOT to break them out in a footnote or something like that.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering the flurry negative posts and threads here and elsewhere after 03/03 until about the middle of Q2, I would've thought that they had logged a lot more than 1,740 complaints...

6. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would bet most of them.
    Agreed, that would be an interesting data point, if the DOT would release it.

I'm curious to see what (if any) response COdbaUA will have to this.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are recorded monthly by the DoT. It wouldn't be that hard to get the breakdown if you wanted it.

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/reports/index.htm

8. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    only 1700ish complaints, I'd be willing to bet 1000+ are petty little things like changing million miler program 'benefits' and some of the other coordinated let's gripe efforts on here and TOBB.

Things haven't been perfect and the US airlines have fallen to the ranks of horrible for service compared to their asian partners that many overlook or even scowl about, but they are generally getting people places on time now. I had only 15 min of delays on my last itineraries and the service was even ok, but again paled compared to asian airlines even flying in premium economy on them and in first/global first on UA.

9. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most complaints are in what I would call "service" (832) with "flight problems" coming in 2nd (443) and "baggage" coming in third (177). Oddly, "fares" (where I would put the MP and TOBB recent complaints was only around 60, that's lower than I thought it would be.

Prior to March UA had 314 complaints (Jan-Feb) and then spiked in March with 500+

So it's pretty obvious the systems switch was a big driver.

A friend of mine overheard the following last weekend while flying out of IAH:

"Continental wouldn't delay us like this".

The flight in question was delayed for a weather delay as were all flights departing for that area of the country.

Bear in mind though, this was Houston, where reasonable UA discussion goes to die.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fare is a category which is rarely used IME. I won't be surprised to see that number spike in July because of the HKG mistake but it also might be classified by the DoT as a service issue since the DoT doesn't regulate FF programs. We'll see in a few weeks.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, frankly, if they weren't so behind on responding to people via e-mail, they might not have so many DoT complaints. I still have an open issue from a flight to FTU in April.

Sedosi, stephenbgarvan and DCA1K like this.
  12. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never never filed a DOT complaint in 45+ years flying-- prefer to communicate directly with airlines/service providers/vendors and on forums such as this. How about the rest of you?

Flyer1976, estnet and Sedosi like this.
  13. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taking bets on # of UA Complaints July-December. Over Under is 2499.5

14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also never filed a DOT complaint, but some of UA's shenanigans might have me do it --- if I hadn't stopped flying UA almost entirely!

15. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ".......Houston where reasonable UA discussion goes to die"

As a Houston area resident, I don't think there had ever been a more accurate statement made on this website. Lol :)

brfong, Captain Oveur and Flyer1976 like this.