A good reason to have the USAir MC

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by TravelBear, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could win a million Dividend Miles and more. View on Web Page

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Re: Your account ending in ****

Dear William,

Now through December 31, 2012, you could win a
    million Dividend Miles each month — plus be entered to win a grand prize trip around the world — with the Million Miles & More Sweepstakes.

Use your card for automatic entries to win.
    Simply use your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard® for all your purchases. Plus, earn double entries on travel purchases!¹

Each month brings new chances to win a prize.
    In addition to Dividend Miles prizes, we're giving away a vacation package each month to Las Vegas or Orlando.

GRAND PRIZE: A Trip Around the World.
    Best of all, every one of your entries from now until December 31, 2012, is an automatic chance to win a trip around the world, with stays in San Francisco, Sydney, Hong Kong, Rome, and Paris.

For more information and official rules, click here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I know its a cc offer but I put it here.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the email but I was confused by the terms. It says purchasing will not increase your chance of winning and a purchase is not necessary if you sent in a 3x5 notecard. But then it says you will earn 1 entry for every dollar spent on non-travel, 2 entries for every dollar spent on travel-related purchases. So - which is it?

3. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not interested in sweepstakes,
    and am waiting to see if Grand Slam comes around again before getting this card.

canucklehead and daemon14 like this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not get the card? 40K miles on first purchase, no first year fee, and it's not Chase/Citi/AmEx. Grand Slam is just a sweetener.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  5. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not see this in the current offer found if you simply google for this card. Do you have a better link? I see a first year fee and only 30k after a significant amount of spending (I believe it was 1k). That's what I found when I obtained this card in Feb.

I know variations of the common application can exist ... how do you find the best link if this is the case??

6. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checking - current offer is 30k on first use of the card and payment of $89 annual fee. So, I was wrong about needing to spend some minimum, but the rest is as I've described.

7. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe most "affiliate" links (i.e. bloggers who get paid by the bank when their link is used for a sign up) have the 40K offer after first dollar spent. I'm not trying to promote any particular blogger or site, but here's a link to a popular blogger with a 40K link.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The card also gives you some sort of discount on awards, a 25k award was 20k for my last trip...

9. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I used recently. The 10k miles annually should cover the cost of the annual fee.

11. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, another learning opportunity. I'll have to quit using google and actually scout for blog links ... or ask.

I signed up with benefits less than this. That means I'm an automatic cancel ... and I'll see if they try to accomodate me when I call. I'll point out the benefits I missed out on, and explain that THESE are what I was going for. I'd trade $89 for 10k miles, but otherwise the card needs to be canceled.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asking is always an option :) I love Google, but some things are difficult to google.

Reading threads here also often leads to good information. For instance, I came across this thread

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/us-airways-card-churnable.22661/

months before I signed up for the actual card. It has the link in the first post.

The card appears to be churnable based on that thread, so don't kill yourself over getting a sub-optimal deal the first time around.

Welcome to Milepoint!

13. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I have had the card twice over last 4 years, so I understand those points !
    Andt don't you get an extra "hit" if you get approved for the card during GS,
    as well as the hit for using it? I don't remember for sure.

One problem is when they offer 40K but issued me a
    lower end card with only 10K bonus, despite my 740+ score.

14. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the terms and conditions of GS11 you could only get 1 hit per credit/debit card. Now, the implementation of the GS11 points awarding program did allow for hits outside the rules, but I don't know of any such issue applied to the credit cards.

15. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year, you only got a hit for using the Barclays MC, not for applying for it. I applied during the GS last year and didn't get an extra hit.

16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that means there is no increase in chance of winning per entry. They are legally obligated to offer a no-purchase method of entry.

17. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just cancelled this card, as I didn't want to pay the $89 annual fee. I was offered a $22.25 credit (25% off) to keep it open, but I said no.

Sidenote: looks like my DM account was already credited the 10K miles. I am not sure if they will take them back or not.

18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm interested to see if you get to keep the miles ...

Even then, $66.75 for 10K US miles isn't bad at all. Though I'm likely to cancel mine soon in order to apply for it early next year.

I just signed up my folks for this card. Made a $3 purchase on my dad's card and his miles posted today. They like to use some miles to help other relatives on the east coast come and visit them in CA, so 4 roundtrips in US Y is pretty good for a cc signup each.

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't he? They were earned and credited. What would the legality be for revoking them?

And, can you find ONE example of any airline mile credit card EVER doing this (outside of a genuine mistake)? One?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

20. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe in this case the miles were awarded in exchange for renewing the card, which he chose not to do.

I see this as substantially different from a sign up bonus.

daemon14 likes this.
  21. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not talking about the 40K signup bonus.

10K miles are awarded for renewing the card, which I assume includes paying the annual fee. Anyone here would agree that Barclays isn't wrong if they take away the 10K if you cancel and don't pay the AF.

22. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would. Anything they give me *before* my renewal isn't tied to the renewal, and anything given *at* the renewal is earned at that point.

Charge you the annual fee in exchange for the miles? Maybe. Take them back? Absolutely not.

23. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's your opinion.

But they have clawed back renewal bonuses in the past.

24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's also likely a part of the cardholder agreement.