A Good Hyatt Play with the Capital One Venture card

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Steven Schwartz, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have a reservation at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome in December - four nights in a suite on points. Cost was 132,000 Hyatt points.

The new Capital One Venture card offers 10,000 bonus points for sign up and gives 2 points per dollar spent. You have to spend $1,000 in 3 months to get the points. The kicker is that they will also match up to 100,0000 miles that you have in one US based airlines frequent flier account.

Points posted this morning, giving me just over 112,000 miles. Just redeemed them for 2 $900 Hyatt gift certificates. When my wife's post, I'll get another two certificates for a total of $3,600. Will cancel my award booking, book for cash using the certificates, and use a Diamond Upgrade to secure a suite for five nights.

End result is that suite will be free, I will get my 132,000 points returned and earn an additional 26,400 Hyatt points for a total increase of 156,400 points. Now to me, THAT'S a deal!

If you're interested, here's the link:

http://www.capitaloneventure.com/#/Welcome

2. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is awesome! And very tempting. Stayed there last November on points, not a suite, but a spectacular stay nonetheless.
    Way to go!

3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the Hyatt certificate is the star of the Venture Card Rewards promo.

I'm intending to get it for us both and spend enough to get a 5th certificate. That should pay for our stays at a few hotels in Asia for 15-20 days. I know you have to expend all the certificate at one locale but I figure 3-4 nights in Ho Chi Minh, then onto Bangkok and finish in Hong Kong.

4. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the details of redeeming points for a Hyatt certificate? I don't know anything about the Venture card but I am on the lookout for other rewards cards that have Hyatt options, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

5. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Capital One is offering $900 Hyatt Cert (now we don't know if it in fact is really 1 x $900 cert of if it's more like 9 x $100 certs) for 51,250 Capital One "Miles". The interest here is that Capital One is currently giving a 100,000 "miles" match for signing up for their Venture card.

kenbo likes this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Peter, of course, is right. But the Terms and Conditions indicate that the entire amount must be spent on one visit which has led knowledgable bloggers to assume that it is one $900 certificate. I'll find out in 2-3 weeks!

7. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would tend to agree - but Hyatt doesn't normally sell $900 GCs, hence the doubt in my mind - of course they could customize for an order large enough.

8. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just ordered the $900 Hyatt certificate through Cap One. Had previous plans to stay at another hotel but am moving over to the Hyatt in Maui. Also just applied for the Hyatt Gold Passport card ($75 fee) to get 2 free nights! Not sure if I will get approved since I just got the Cap One card AND a Chase United Card... they sent my app for review! But if I get the 2 free nights AND can use this $900 certificate..it will make for a nice 5 day stay in Maui! That still leaves me miles left over from the match to use if I go over the $900!

9. tjbrooks

tjbrooks Silver Member

Status Points:
    A FT user is reporting that a call to the Hyatt Cert center said that typically the highest denomination they see is $600, so this may not all be in one cert. I'm wondering to find out if these are ordered on demand or whether they order in batches. I'll try to ask when I call in to redeem.
    My worry is that these will go out of stock before my points post. Soooo looking forward to the challenge of spending $900 in two days at the Grand Hyatt Kauai.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'll use my personal and business card points, and my wife's points as well, for Hyatt Gift Certs. If I had gone in on the Fairmont Lifetime Platinum deal I might've been tempted to redeem for Fairmont certs. I might still redeem for 1 Fairmont cert since I do have Fairmont status and a confirmed suite upgrade to use. Don't have any interest in the Ritz-Carlton cert I don't think.

11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We used Marriott points to stay at the Ritz Carlton Central Park (NY) in December. Paid $100 cash per day to upgrade to Club Access. Rooms went for $900 per night + tax. Not a bad way to spend the certificates (IMO)! It really was an amazing treat.

IDGflygirl and gleff like this.
  12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nice indeed!

13. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Steven, I have a few of questions, sorry for being so inquisitive. :)

1.How long did the entrire process take between applying for the card, spending $1000, and being able to redeem the Hyatt certs?

2.What type of documentation was sufficient for proving you had 100K in credit card miles?

3. Am I too late to get on this deal, or might I be successful if I apply within the next week and quickly spend $1000?

4. Do the certs have your name on them, or may they be used by anyone?

14. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    1.How long did the entrire process take between applying for the card, spending $1000, and being able to redeem the Hyatt certs?

10 days to get the card, a few days to spend $1,000, about 4-5 days for the 10,000 bonus to post and another 2-3 for the 100,000 to show up.

2.What type of documentation was sufficient for proving you had 100K in credit card miles?

Did a screen print of a US Air page that summarized my account, pasted it into a .doc file and saved to Desktop. C1 asks you to attach a file or fax or mail the info. I sent the attachment. Took a couple of days to get the email that my miles were reserved.

3. Am I too late to get on this deal, or might I be successful if I apply within the next week and quickly spend $1000?

Not sure - but they ARE still advertising it. Alex Baldwin still has a job!

4. Do the certs have your name on them, or may they be used by anyone?

No names on certificates, which arrived yesterday. Each $900 award is comprised of a $500 and two $200s.

Good luck!

15. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, it looks like this Capital One deal has run its course. I hope you were able to apply in time.

16. The Mileage Millionaire
    Original Member

The Mileage Millionaire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone received their $900 of Hyatt certs with a 7/31/2012 expiry yet? Shouldn't those ordered on or After April 1 expire 7/31/2012, while those ordered during March expire 6/30/2012?

icurhere2 and Chimpy like this.
  17. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

18. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    The answer to this seems like an obvious yes to me, but I wanted to clarify first. You can use multiple certificates for one stay, right? So, if I have a $1000 6 night stay, I can use the $500, $200, and $200 certificates together to pay for $900 of the stay?

19. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Others have posted that the Hyatt certs from Cap1 are similar to the Costco Hyatt certs, so you use them as you see fit.

20. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems odd the Hyatt certs have an expiration and the Fairmont gift cards don't.
    Some states have laws against expiration dates on Gift cards, that must be why Hyatt calls them a certificate rather then a gift card?

And now that I just read the CT law it says even gift certificates can't have expiration dates. Since Hyatt has hotels in CT shouldn't this apply?

CONNECTICUT GIFT CARD LAW
    The Connecticut General Assembly passed a Gift Card Law (www.state.ct.us/ott/giftcardlaw.htm) effective August 16, 2003.

The law prohibits vendors in Connecticut from imposing expiration dates or inactivity fees on gift certificates and retail gift cards purchased ON OR AFTER August 16, 2003. The law applies even if an expiration date or inactivity fees are described on the back of the card.

21. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are promotional certificates so they would not fall under that law. You are not "paying" anything for them.

22. Henry
    Original Member

Henry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can these certs somehow be combined with Amex FHR bookings? I have no experience with either.

23. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AMEX FHR requires the payment with some AMEX card - now whether you can pay for "some" of it with these certs and "some" with an AMEX is probably up to the property and the clerk checking you out. It's probably against the T&Cs but really is a YMMV issue.

24. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it wise to use these gift certificates overseas? Conversion rate to/from USD can be pretty severe. I remember staying at a resort in Thailand (not a Hyatt), where the published rate was in USD, but they converted into local currency at billing. When the credit card bill came, the amount was 10% + 3% higher than the originally quoted USD room rate because of conversion and foreign charge :-(

25. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the property - I've read reports that at GH Erawan the exchange rate wasn't bad at all - but a HR Hua Hin it was pretty bad - this was in discussions of the Costco certs - but would apply here too.

IDGflygirl likes this.