*A Gold v Silver?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Aktchi, Jun 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The title of this post---*A Gold v Silver?---might seem like a strange question, because obviously Gold is better, what's to choose? [​IMG]

However, I am planning to earn the status on A3 by flying partner airlines. The lowest 3 or 4 fares do not earn any miles on A3, where Gold would need 19K miles and Silver only 3K. So, I can do Silver less expensively by purchasing just one long haul in a high bucket and the rest at the lowest ones, whereas Gold will need many more flights in higher buckets.

I won't be flying A3 very much, and will mainly use the status on partners like TK, LH, LX, SQ.

So, the question is, what do you get for *A Gold that you don't for Silver? I am OK with Business class lounges instead of First. I don't believe that either status will mean upgrades at partners. What else?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get no lounge access at all for silver. If you want in to a lounge you need Gold. And, officially, no baggage benefits, though US and UA do give some allowance.

Silver is mostly worthless as an alliance-wide benefit.

Aktchi, YULtide and 8MiHi like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The better question to ask is what do you get for *A Silver? IMO, either go for Gold on A3 or don't play at all.

Wandering Aramean, Aktchi and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    To do MRs of any kind, but especially in a high bucket, simply to get *A Silver is like taking perfectly good money and putting it through a paper shredder. That is how much *A Silver is worth...

Aktchi and YULtide like this.
  5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys for clean unambiguous verdict. That's precisely why one goes to teh experts!