*A Gold status on award tix booked with non-elite member number?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by riverchica, Jul 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a international award ticket from US-ZA using United miles. I have no status with United.
    But I do have *A Gold status with Turkish and several of my flights are on Turkish. Since my United MilagePlus number is on the booking, what's the best way to have my *A status recognized?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apply your Turkish number instead.

adrianors, Flyer1976 and SeaRaptor like this.
  3. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had called United and Turkish and asked to have the number switched. Both told me that I could not change it on an award ticket. Not true?

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ill have to defer to someone that knows UA better than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    United reservation system (SHARES specifically) doesn't have a separate field for traveler frequent flyer number and the frequent flyer number for where the miles are coming from. What this means in practice is for award tickets, traveler frequent flyer number field is set to the account where the miles are coming from.

This can be potentially good (you're a united elite and you book an award ticket for someone else - they enjoy your benefits), or bad (no status with united, but traveler has status elsewhere).

Thus, you won't be able to change the reservation with your number. For the sake of lounge access, just having a physical card should be sufficient. What you can also try (and this is dependent on the partner airline) is to call the other airline and ask them to change the frequent flyer number on their reservation. Often times the reservation of the other operating carrier can be out-of-sync per se insofar as having a different frequent flyer number from the United reservation. (Your mileage may vary, largely based on what the other airline is.)

riverchica, 8MiHi and skyvan like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best place to change FF# is when you check in. Do not use OLCI or a kiosk. Just speak with an agent and make the request. For the purpose of int'l *A lounge access, I agree that it should be sufficient to have the TK FF membership card with *G logo. The FF membership card would not be necessary if your BP said TK*G, but it won't since you have no status with UA. Changing the FF# at check in might result in your BP saying TK*G.

riverchica and 8MiHi like this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do manage to change the FF #, even accidentally, all kinds of batman happens. Like my reservation became immutable and they had to have IT tear it apart manually.

riverchica and 8MiHi like this.
  8. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, this is a complicated international award (ABQ-IAH-IST (stop) - ACC-JNB-CPT (stop)-JNB-ADD-IAD-ABQ) so I don't want to invite chaos if changing to my Turkish number somehow implodes SHARES. Does anyone know if I can access the Turkish elite immigration line with just my Miles&Smiles card if it's not on the BP? Haven't tried it before.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. This should work.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

10. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP must have flown by now, so how did it work?

11. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been remiss in updating! I was unsuccessful in adding my TK number to the reservation before travelling and left well enough alone for fear of disrupting the itinerary.
    On one of my segments back to the US, however, I did notice that my TK number was on the boarding pass. Only once out of 9 segments.