*A Gold Lounge Access---does this make buying lounge membership redundant?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by DAS02135, Nov 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just qualified for Star Gold for the first time, and I'm not sure I understand lounge access properly. Can you help?

One of the benefits is "Airport Lounge Access - available worldwide for you and a friend when you travel with any Star Alliance member airline, regardless of your class of travel."

If I get lounge access with my card, is there any purpose in renewing my United Club membership when it's up? It seems Star Gold gives me this benefit for free?

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on which Star Gold program you qualified in. If you qualified under United, Continental or US Airways, your Star Gold doesn't give you access to lounges on "domestic" itineraries. Just keep in mind that "domestic" and "international" are defined in many different ways and not always clear - e.g. is Canada international or domestic?

The other advantage of having a lounge access membership is when you're flying on a different airline but with access to a United Club. E.g. If you're flying British Airways in World Traveller (coach) out of JFK T7. United flies out of the same terminal and you can access the United club with the membership, but not with star gold.

3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on a few factors: which airline you are *G with, your typical travel patterns (mostly US domestic, mostly international, etc.).

If you can provide more details, you'll get better advice.

But here are the basic rules from the Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy page:

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
    • Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status
    • Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
    • Customer is entitled to one guest
    • Continental, United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Red Carpet Clubs, US Airways Clubs and Presidents Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
    Paid Lounge Membership Customers: Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.
    • Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers include: United Airlines Red Carpet Club, US Airways Club, Air Canada Maple Leaf Club - Worldwide, and Continental Airlines Presidents Club.
    • Customer must present a valid eligible paid lounge membership card which displays the Star Alliance Lounge Logo
    • Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
    • Customer is entitled to one guest

DAS02135 likes this.
  4. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Infinite! I don't know how I missed that page. I guess I need to dig in better with the Star Alliance website.

It seems clear to me from the feedback above that I need to maintain my club membership, since at least 80% of my flights are domestic US.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who's *G are you? I dont want to assume US as in USair in your post.

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    One more.. consider the guest policy. If you frequently travel with companions, - the membership maybe useful. Just a few thoughts, but most star golds in non-US programs do not purchase lounge memberships.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United

9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    with united, you do not have access to the united club on domestic US economy or F for that matter. You would need a club membership for that. Premier Executive gives you access to LH senator and business lounges world wide, along with priority check in and security in most places. Whats nice is that if you are in a US airport flying any *A carrier on any fare, and there's a LH senator lounge (like IAD for example), you could go there.

10. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using the one in Detroit quite a bit recently :)