A glimpse of the future..DL Medallions increasingly embracing WN

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Mar 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here we see increasing numbers of DL Medallions now trying - and liking - WN. There should be no surprise in these comments for those of us who've done business with WN over the years.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...m-vs-southwest-kettle-comparing-products.html

WN offers a strong product, does what it says.. but here's what's rapidly changing. If (a) legacy miles can't be redeemed for international J and (b) semi-consistent UG are no longer a realistic prospect for any Medallion including DM, then the entire WN product/value proposition defeats legacy product handily. WN E >> DL E-.

WN expansion will be most welcome. What these guys don't say, but we can here, is that WN destroys DL in a key category: business integrity. DL SM management have badly damaged DL credibility over the past few years, as we all know. It is time for the Borg to begin to pay the price for its deliberate misleading of customers. WN expansion at ATL would be welcome and can be encouraged by customers. And DTW. MSP and SLC too. It is a small start. But the momentum behind this tipping point has juggernaut strength.

What will be most entertaining is when legacy capacity shrinkage is no longer voluntary, but passes a point of no return in the marketplace and becomes irreversible.

OpenSkies, here we come!

uggboy, MX and Newscience like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you miss the recently announced changes to Rapid Rewards?

redtailshark, MX and Newscience like this.
  3. redtailshark

Status Points:
    No, I saw the Feb 12th announcement if that's what you mean. Evidently I don't welcome this devaluation any more than any other WN customer. I don't like it that it will reduce transparency in the points required.

But even with this, there are some major differences in favor of WN.

The first difference between historic DL SM drive-by/stealth modes and this announcement is that WN did provide nine weeks of warning of this devaluation.

There are other major differences in program operation that I expect will continue to apply after devaluation. For example, I had noticed that when I redeem RR points (a) every flight that can be purchased can be redeemed using RR, and best of all, (b) if it tells me that it costs 8750 RR, when I click through WN.COM to purchase it never says "Error: the itinerary has just sold out. Call 1-800-OVERTHEDESK or our new alternate 1-666-BESTINCLASS to find an itinerary meets your needs." No, WN.COM tickets efficiently at the stated price - now that concept leaves DL SM in its cesspit, revenue or no.

And this doesn't change the central thrust of the argument. DL's customers need OpenSkies most of all but WN's customers and all others also need restoration of a competitive air travel marketplace.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't have the same love for the WN product vs legacies. Advantages and disadvantages...and the disadvantages outweigh for me. Inflight I consider worse, boarding process crap, ontime and irops not good at all. Not flying delta much thesee days for a variety of reasons, but on a flight product basis would easily take them over wn.

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boarding process crap? I flew DL a week ago for the first time in a few years. What a quilombo. At SFO, I arrived at the gate nearly an hour prior to departure. There were nearly 100 gate lice. It was hard to stake out a place near the F boarding. Overheads were nearly full in F when I boarded. It was one of the most unpleasant domestic boarding experiences in ages. ATL was better, but not a lot better (smaller planes, so less people boarding). WN boarding - you stand in your place - quite civilized. Not a fan for long segments nor connecting flights, but for shorter hops, I pay the $12, board in the first group, get an acceptable aisle seat, overhead space, and I'm set.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about you, but I'd rather chill in the lounge or restaurant/bar/whatever than stand in line and then hang out in an aluminum tube. Don't really want to get to the gate area early, nor board sooner than necessary. Prefer not to line up like a herd of cattle.

7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never tried long haul TATL on WN, but it doesn't strike me as a pleasant experience.

8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A major reason DL is successful is due to the hub captive markets it posses such as MSP, DTW, and ATL. The average or occasional flyer gets a better valued product flying WN.

9. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, well, when WN flies to Asia and Europe, I'll still stick with DL.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You make a good point, so an alternative for international flyers might be Iceland Air or Norwegian.

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really. minimal route networks, bad operational integrity.

The alternative is more about choosing each flight on its own merits, or finding an all-purpose or most-purpose carrier. Those carriers are rarely either.

12. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Exactly. Since DL has degraded Medallion benefits to the point where there is very little differentiation between Medallion and kettle status, then almost everyone is making decisions as an "occasional" flyer.

13. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. Usable GUCs and lots of exceptions keep me loyal. I am going to guess that Delta is now using a "customer score" to make decisions. I have had multiple positive exceptions (waivers of fees), and mea culpa's (60K miles for them screwing up an upgrade on KLM metal). For example, supervisors who actually contact revenue management to release OP seats (for an international upgrade) and call me back next day.

I have few complaints. Which is a good thing, since WN service and reach ex-AMS is pretty crappy.

Am I "super-high" revenue, absolutely not; but I'd say I am somewhere in the "strong" middle.

Misplaced Texan and redtailshark like this.
  14. redtailshark

Status Points:
    But, you're one of DL's special customers...not the average Medallion ;)

15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As soon as someone shows me where the F cabin is on WN, I'll seriously consider them for my next trip. ;)

monitor and Gargoyle like this.
  16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    All medallions are equal but some are more equal than others. ;)

What's the problem with DL doing this though?

AA had done it for years without publishing it explicitly based on the stuff JohnNYC has published on his travelingbetter forums.

BA does it very clearly with their CIV scores.

UA has done it for a while at a single threshold with their GS program.

Pretty much every hotel on earth extends extra perks to guests who spend lots of nights and $$ at the specific hotel above and beyond what program status might offer.

If DL hasn't been using some kind of customer value rating beyond the medallion status for a long time, that speaks more to a previous failing on their part than some problem with them adopting it now.