A First-Timer's Quest to Get it Right

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jammin, Aug 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Status Points:
    Hello, thank you in advance for your help- I have just 1 card I opened to build miles to travel internationally, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I have spent the minimum spend and now need to find a new card in a hurry! I am not wanting to spend more on the Sapphire card beyond the minimum, but I am going to be in a position to spend a lot of money in the next few weeks and I want to use other cards' intro bonus offers to take advantage of my spending and build miles I can turn into airplane tickets and/or hotel rooms abroad. The problem is I am very new and don't know what I am doing. If I apply for American Airlines' card or United Airlines' card, will I be able to pool together the miles from those? What about combining those with the miles from the Sapphire card?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred into some other programs. IHG, Hyatt and United come to mind. AA isn't among them. So if you get a United card, you can combine them in the United account.

satman40 and edekba like this.
  3. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much. Also wondering...
    - can I as a non-business owner, get a "business card" issued to me? Saw some nice offers but the application asked for tons of detail about my business
    - are "points" different than "miles"? Looks like the answer is sometimes, yes, sometimes, no...

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Depends if you can justify a business? Do you sell things on eBay? Have a hobby that occasionally has income? If so maybe you'll pass for a business...
    2) Yes & No. Hotel Points, Airline Miles, Bank Reward Points ... etc. Overall they mean the same but they don't?

Also to add on to HMWT ... as a new person into this I would try to stick with the same "family" as points so that you'll have enough to get somewhere first before you start to diversify.

Do you have a Chase Freedom/Chase Ink yet? You should as once you get past 5 cards Chase UR cards will be hard to get ... then add the Chase UA if you want ... or something else.

satman40 likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have goals in mind for a specific trip (or even better flexible goals for a specific type of trip)?

In general, it is good to have "enough" miles to redeem, and then diversify to increase flexaibility (and to avoid having all eggs in one basket). But that too is flexible, if you are ok just accumulating for a while (and see consistent accumulation in coming years) then it can be ok to just chase good deals and organize later.

The best path depends on how much you foresee spending/earning on a continuing basis, as well as for what and how frequently you want to use miles.

satman40 likes this.
  6. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you - what's the Chase UA? United Airlines? Hmm so try to get 5 Chase Ultimate Rewards cards???

7. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Status Points:
    Yes! My trip in mind is to Fiji and another trip to Brazil. I also want to take a trip to South America (Colombia/Venezula) and Russia. So I think I need to choose American Airlines.

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes Chase UA = the United MileagePlus card which Ultimate Reward points can be transfered to to help boost your balance.

What I meant by Get Chase UR Cards first is that Chase is being more strict about approving their own UR cards if you have more than 5 new applications for credit cards on your credit report, so conventional wisdom is to get those first so then once you start collecting more cards/miles you'll be over the 5 card limit and thus be denied for any new UR cards from Chase. So you need to get them first.

satman40 and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you already have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card which transfers UR points to United, you might wish to stay with the same theme (Chase cards). For instance, if any of the "bunch of money" that will be spending will involve flying, then you might wish to get a Chase United card (the Explorer would be a good starting choice) so that in addition to any sign up bonus points that you would get, you could get additional miles from purchasing the tickets with the UA card and also crediting your flight miles to a United MileagePlus account (gotta sign up for one if you are going to do that).

There are several ways to skin that cat, but your circumstances and goals would ultimately dictate what's "best" for you...

satman40 likes this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you are ok with flying in economy, brazil and russia are cheap right now. Aa is good for fiji.

satman40 likes this.
  11. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Status Points:
    I am definitely ok with flying economy. I was just declined for a business card with chase so I was thinking about going to a different bank. I am looking at Citi or at the Citi® Hilton HHonors™Visa Signature® Card as an option, but I am worried about starting multiple cards with separate rewards and getting nowhere for all my trouble. What about just staying with the Chase Sapphire and trying to spend a lot on it?

satman40 likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want a Chase Business Card,opens Chase Business Checing account
    You can open it as a DBAand do not need a Fed ID,l

Landlords,,EBay, even doctors, small Labs use this type of accounts, lot of small repair guys with small business checking,,and charge cards

Put some skin in the game, even your wife can get a business card

edekba likes this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    figure out what you want, and how many points it takes. If you value a night Or two in a hotel and build up the points in a program to do that, then you are oK. What you want to avoid are a bunch of programs with too few points to get what you want. But one you have "enough" to use diversification is advantageous.

Sapphire is good, as long as what you want is available from their transfer partners. For hotels this basically means hyatt. For airlinEs you have more options, some better than others. Also sign up bonuses earn more quickly than just spending.

Jammin, satman40 and edekba like this.
  14. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Status Points:
    Ok- update- I ws declined twice in the past week. Once for Chase Business Ink and once for the CITI/AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard. I am working to appeal with them, I know the reason they declined, it's because I opened a new card in June and they have seen too many credit inquiries recently.

My question is: do you think it would be a bad/dumb idea to try to open a card with a different bank at this point?? How long should I wait before applying for another card and how hard should I fight for an appeal with the banks who turned me down? (should I ask to speak with a supervisor, etc?) Thank you!

15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the timeline you opened up accounts ... past 6 months?
    Do you have a real banking relationship with any bank?
    Is your CreditScore higher than like 750? 800?

Jammin likes this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah take a deep breath and assess your current credit.

Jammin likes this.
  17. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know my score is at least 786 and I had a bank report it was 814 when they checked it prior to my last application. I called Chase and talked to them about why I applied for the business card and said I misunderstood. They were cool about it and I applied for the United Explorer card (even though I am not a big United fan) and they issued me that. So yea, I guess I am good for now. Citibank was unyielding, spoke to a supervisor and everything. Must not be a good time for them, who knows. Thanks a lot for the responses, everyone.

satman40 likes this.
  18. AllSmilesat30kfeet

AllSmilesat30kfeet New Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Rewards Visa is another Chase card that is decent

Zomby Woof likes this.
  19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does not matter what your CS is you have been declined, so slow down.

Subscribe to Credit Karma,

Wait 6 months and try again, open a checking account with Chase, put some skin in the game.

CC Auto pay, and.pay in full.

In the old days we would open a savings account and borrow against the saving account to establish credit,

This is still a paper chase..you need to show a track record..